cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its Annual Fee Time for Credit One Card, Should and Can I close it now?????

tag
Aleecat
New Contributor

Re: Its Annual Fee Time for Credit One Card, Should and Can I close it now?????

@policebox wrote:

Closing it will have a negligable effect on your utilization. Closing the account won't affect your AAoA. If the account is closed, it will continue to report for 10 years as a positive tradeline that will be factored into your AAoA. It has served its purpose, I would first ask for the AF to be waived; if they won't waive it then I wouldn't hesitate to close it.

Thankyou,

I will call now and ask for the annual fee to be waived. If they are not willing to will do what has to be done I guess. One more question though. I am up for my AMEX 3xCLI next week. Should I wait until after that to close it????

Message 11 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!  You've outgrown CreditOne and it's time to close it!

I just closed mine this month and I was thrilled! 

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 12 of 23
Aleecat
New Contributor

@striehl8212 wrote:

@jesseh wrote:

What I find important too is, there isn't any future in your relationship with CreditOne. With some credit unions you may consider keeping on a card because it may help you get a car loan or mortgage in the future, but creditone is not known to value long term customers..

I would agree with everything above me, you might as well keep it on if they waive the annual fee, but looking at your current card portfolio you do not need that card anymore.

keep it up

I agree with jesseh. With that credit portfolio, I would just close it. No reason to give them $75 if you know you won't be using the card. 

@striehl8212 wrote:

@jesseh wrote:

What I find important too is, there isn't any future in your relationship with CreditOne. With some credit unions you may consider keeping on a card because it may help you get a car loan or mortgage in the future, but creditone is not known to value long term customers..

I would agree with everything above me, you might as well keep it on if they waive the annual fee, but looking at your current card portfolio you do not need that card anymore.

keep it up

I agree with jesseh. With that credit portfolio, I would just close it. No reason to give them $75 if you know you won't be using the card. 

Thanks...  I see you have an AMEX...... I am up for my 61 day CLI next week, should I wait until after that to close it???

Message 13 of 23
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

I don't see a reason to do that.

First reason: it costs 75 dollars

Second reason: closing the card will not really impact your score, it will stay on your file as an account in good standing and as time goes by fall off.

It is not like closing an account drops your score instantly.

(unless your score relies heavily on your AAoA and you've had that card for years and years)

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 14 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@jesseh wrote:

Second reason: closing the card will not really impact your score, it will stay on your file as an account in good standing and as time goes by fall off.

(unless your score relies heavily on your AAoA and you've had that card for years and years)

And not even then!  As many said above, the card will continue to report for ~ 10 years, and so won't impact the AAoA at all until then.

Message 15 of 23
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

Exactly.

I just meant that if you want to keep the account age growing you could, but here it would not be not worth it.

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 16 of 23
Aleecat
New Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@jesseh wrote:

And not even then!  As many said above, the card will continue to report for ~ 10 years, and so won't impact the AAoA at all until then.

THANKS

Message 17 of 23
Reighn9
Frequent Contributor

I also have a Credit One card I've been wanting to get rid of but was concerned about utilization and the monthly charge for the annual fee of $99. I got the card in 2011, pre-approved, I didn't know anything about the company at the time, but a friend needed to make an emergency move so I took the card.  It has a $1600 CL, a balance I can easily pay off, except a portion of the AF is charged each month. What would closing this card do? I only use it for friends who have emergengies.

Message 18 of 23
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

What's your current card portfolio?

Message 19 of 23
policebox
Contributor

Aleecat wrote:  I am up for my AMEX 3xCLI next week. Should I wait until after that to close it????

Some people have reported that Amex wouldn't grant them approval for a card while they had open sub-prime accounts, such as from Credit One or First Premier. Again, this is just heresay, but if it were true I would probably close the Credit One account and allow the closed status to update on your reports before you pull the trigger with Amex for the CLI.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.