Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J.Crew card has my score all wrong?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

J.Crew card has my score all wrong?

Hello! I've been lurking here for weeks and finally registered after biting the bullet and signing up for MyFico's services to get my scores out of morbid curiosity. Like a lot of people here I made several mistakes in my college years and after that I am now trying to clean up so I can lead a happy, financially sound adult life. Anyway! After recently acquiring 3 cards for BT's, I decided, why not a J.Crew card. I read here about how easy it is to get CLI's and it's a card I will actually use.

So I was approved for a $750 CL, made an initial purchase of $130ish. Before getting the card I registered my account on the J.Crew Comenity site and immediately tried for a CLI. 7-10 message, womp. Tried a few more times in the next 2 days. No dice. I got the rejection letters in the mail that list no reasons for the decline except my EQ score, which they have at 604! 

MyFico has these scores for me, currently: EQ 686, TU 697, EX 684.

I don't know how in the world they have me at a 604 but I have multiple letters from them with that score now. I have an open dispute with EQ currently, could that be why? It actually involves my Barneys Comenity card that they have reported inaccurately in numerous ways. Comenity bought the card from Barneys last year and began reporting it as a new tradeline, and then suddenly there were 3 Barneys tradelines on my CR, 2 from 2006, one from 2013, with all different limits, and a baddie that I couldn't remember actually doing. Comenity basically made a total mess when they took over the Barneys card. So I've disputed the whole thing. (The same dispute was recently resolved with TU, baddie deleted and tradelines properly condensed to 1 from 2006, how it should be. EX doesn't have the baddie or the wonky multiple tradelines somehow.)

Apologies for the long winded post, just curious if anyone has experienced something similar on a J.Crew card. I also just PIF 2 days ago and the payment still hasn't posted even though it was scheduled for 11/7. Worried that this go round with Comenity is going to be another mess, like Barneys. My Barneys card does however have a 5k limit (up from the initial 1k) after exhausting the luv button several months back, before I even knew of MyFico!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: J.Crew card has my score all wrong?

I believe Comenity uses an internal scoring algorythm.  Any time they've provided me with a score it's way off from my Fico score.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm interesting. The range they gave went up to 850 so it seemed like a real FICO score from EQ. I also found the letter odd because it said Reasons why we couldn't grant you the CLI: 

And then was blank.

It seems like people with lower scores got CLI's. But maybe I should just be patient and try in a couple of months? I tried again after my balance was back to zero and still no luck. I wonder if it has anything to do with me having another Comenity card with a high limit.

Message 3 of 14
taxi818
Super Contributor

First. stop hitting luv button. call and use the automated system. when it ask why you call say credit limit increase. if it says congrats anything else i can do for you. say it again. . credit limit increase. and keep going. the rule is they will give you 1.but after about 9 months of having card even with limited use. you will be able to get the increases you desire.there is no way for you to know what scores your lender is using.if it said its 604. in the letter.. if it was fico. i would have said eq fico score in the letter. they can only use fico if it is real fico score. other wise no one knows what system they used..they are not required to use fico -08 scores that are here.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks! So the phone system is possibly going off of a different system than the luv button? I will have to give it a try Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 14
taxi818
Super Contributor

its all automated. i got 2 credit limit increases the first month with the card. the first day. i called asked. got 300 from 300. to 600. a week later did it again. got another 300. but i hung up and forgot to keep asking. so im at 900 on the card. but im just waiting now. until new year.will raise that puppy to 4k soon. i only made 1 purchase on the card period as jcrew is not the cheapest of stores.1 single pair of men breifs. 23 dollars wth.no thanks. but i will have the card as a utilization buffer.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know, thanks! I will try the phone method tomorrow. I'd also like to get the CLI for the sake of some padding, so I can get my overall utility to 30% or less sooner than later.

J.Crew IS pricy but as a lady, I'm a fan of their cashmere sweaters and their flats. Only shop when they have codes and/or sales though! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wah! Realized I could call the # now so I did. No go. I wonder why they hate me.

Message 8 of 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Wah! Realized I could call the # now so I did. No go. I wonder why they hate me.

Just give it some time.  It doesn't hand out CLI to me any more.  Use it once, pay the balance off and try for a CLI in 30 days.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Yeah, I'm going to give it 30+ days. I've already PIF on my first purchase and have a 2nd one that I will also PIF after it posts. Will lay low after that and try closer to Xmas. 

I wonder if they are getting more strict with the card, or if it's just me. Hrmph.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.