Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J crew card ?

tag
anonymous4a
New Contributor

J crew card ?

Hi, I'm thinking about getting the J crew card but I rarely shop at J crew. Does it make sense to get it because they give out higher credit limits ? Would it help me in  getting higher cli for other cards that I apply for in the future ?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

Re: J crew card ?

I wouldn't advise getting a card for a store you don't shop at. That's just me though...

What is your goal? Trying to pad UTL? What does your CR look like? Were you planning to shopping cart trick? Have you looked at all of comenity's options?

Message 2 of 9
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@anonymous4a wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking about getting the J crew card but I don't even shop at J crew. Does it make sense to get it because they give out higher credit limits ? Would it help me in  getting higher cli for other cards that I apply for in the future ?

unless you have less than 3 cards, the j crew card won't help, and Comenity the backer of the card in the past waits at least 6+ months before giving user requested CLI's Having a high limit on a store card probably won't help you with future limits on prime cards. 

If you have more than 3 cards, I would garden let them grow, try for SP Cli's when possible, when your newest card is 6 months old, you can try for a prime card if your score is in the high 600's. For chase they like to see a year of history, AMEX charge cards usually need a 650 EX and decent income. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Applying for a card just because you want it may get you denied for a card you need (rewards etc) It's even worse if you never have a use for the card. That's just my opinion.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 9
b_diddy
Established Contributor

You don't say anything about your existing CC's or profile.  However, if you're not going to use it, you're not going to be able to show any use and payment history.

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 5 of 9
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@anonymous4a wrote:

Hi, I'm thinking about getting the J crew card but I don't even shop at J crew. Does it make sense to get it because they give out higher credit limits ? Would it help me in  getting higher cli for other cards that I apply for in the future ?

unless you have less than 3 cards, the j crew card won't help, and Comenity the backer of the card in the past waits at least 6+ months before giving user requested CLI's Having a high limit on a store card probably won't help you with future limits on prime cards. 

If you have more than 3 cards, I would garden let them grow, try for SP Cli's when possible, when your newest card is 6 months old, you can try for a prime card if your score is in the high 600's. For chase they like to see a year of history, AMEX charge cards usually need a 650 EX and decent income. 

That is not true. Many, including myself, have gotten several CLIs via luv button immediately after opening the J. Crew card and some every month. My card is less than 30 days old and I've already jumped from 1150 CL to an 1850 through several attempts at the luv button.

I'm pretty sure this is why OP is interested in the J. Crew card to begin with. Still hard to give the best advice without knowing OPs credit history/current accounts/scores. Though I would still advise agaisnt getting a card that isn't going to be used. Especially a store card.

Message 6 of 9
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

I post this not to try to convince you to do one thing or the other, but rather to point out my situation.

I do shop at J Crew (usually in store) but got the pop up as I was considering buying something on-line.  I accepted (without buying anything) and got what seems to be a rather standard CL of $500.  Two days later I called the Comenity backdoor number and got a CLI to $2,000.  2 weeks later I pressed the Luv button online and got another CLI to $2,400.  I have yet to use the card and the account has been open for about a month.  YMMV.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 7 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

@anonymous4a wrote:

I can't say that is true. I got my j crew in July. 2 months ago. And already got 3 clis. Once the day I got card. Went from 300-600

waited a month until August. Got another 300. To 900

and last week. September. Another 300 to 1200

looks like can do once a month. Next time. I will just repeat over and over. Cli. Until system stops. Get it up to 5k to pad util.  

Message 8 of 9
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well I used it once. :Smiley Wink  I bought the most expensive boxers ever. Not even silk$28.00. Damn. But fir padding util. It's ok. Lol. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.