Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCP CLI Problem?

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

JCP CLI Problem?

So I opened a JCP card in March of last year. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, made a payment for my full balance of $850, entered in my BOA checking info and I guess I was drunk/blind/distracted and account number was entered in wrong (this also happened when I first opened the account making a payment from my Chase account but left off all the 0's in front). After the money sat in my checking account I realized I hadn't put in the right info so updated it and requested a payment through my online bill pay so there would be no mix up. Of course original payment was returned around then because unable to locate account. Check arrived and the balance was paid down just in time for me to request my second CLI with them since my statement was about to close. Log in online and it says my acccounts closed!!!! I called and the rep reinstated it since it was not NSF returns..... so I go through automated system to get CLI and was declined. First tried to go from $1000 to $2500..... then tried $1000 to $1500.... both declined. Switch over to talk to a rep to ask if my account being closed had an effect on my ability to request CLIs...... got a script reading that they will send a letter and explain reasons for declines. Tried to explain that just wanted to know what their policy was on this type of situations (i.e. does this reset my clock for CLI). Got script reading again, so just said ok nevermind, thank you, and hung up in the middle of her repeating herself. I get why they closed the account (2 returned payments because unable to locate accounts) and I am thankful they were willing to reopen it and reinstate the original credit line. But please tell me that they are not going to make me start over on my credit line increases!!

Any thoughts?? Anyone have experience with such a situation? I know I will get letters for the ones I requested soon, just want to know if I should keep trying or just wait anohter 4 months..... Smiley Sad

**edited to correct cli request amount from $25000 to $2500

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: JCP CLI Problem?

@chan85 wrote:

So I opened a JCP card in March of last year. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago, made a payment for my full balance of $850, entered in my BOA checking info and I guess I was drunk/blind/distracted and account number was entered in wrong (this also happened when I first opened the account making a payment from my Chase account but left off all the 0's in front). After the money sat in my checking account I realized I hadn't put in the right info so updated it and requested a payment through my online bill pay so there would be no mix up. Of course original payment was returned around then because unable to locate account. Check arrived and the balance was paid down just in time for me to request my second CLI with them since my statement was about to close. Log in online and it says my acccounts closed!!!! I called and the rep reinstated it since it was not NSF returns..... so I go through automated system to get CLI and was declined. First tried to go from $1000 to $25000..... then tried $1000 to $1500.... both declined. Switch over to talk to a rep to ask if my account being closed had an effect on my ability to request CLIs...... got a script reading that they will send a letter and explain reasons for declines. Tried to explain that just wanted to know what their policy was on this type of situations (i.e. does this reset my clock for CLI). Got script reading again, so just said ok nevermind, thank you, and hung up in the middle of her repeating herself. I get why they closed the account (2 returned payments because unable to locate accounts) and I am thankful they were willing to reopen it and reinstate the original credit line. But please tell me that they are not going to make me start over on my credit line increases!!

Any thoughts?? Anyone have experience with such a situation? I know I will get letters for the ones I requested soon, just want to know if I should keep trying or just wait anohter 4 months..... Smiley Sad

I'm having the same issue with JCP, but noaccount closure or worng payments. I would suggest gardening it for 6 months and try again. GE is picky with CLI's lately and showing them good payment history with no mixups should do it for you assuming your other stats on credit file are right (util/no derogs)

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 14
GB44
Contributor

I would look at it from the lenders perspective.

Two returned payments from two different accounts. The second returned check caused the account to be temporarily closed.

Requesting a credit increase from $1,000 to $25,000.

Those are both serious red flags!

Like you stated, be thankful you still have the cards and let the dust settle.

Message 3 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@GB44 wrote:

I would look at it from the lenders perspective.

Two returned payments from two different accounts. The second returned check caused the account to be temporarily closed.

Requesting a credit increase from $1,000 to $25,000.

Those are both serious red flags!

Like you stated, be thankful you still have the cards and let the dust settle.

Yea thats way too much to ask for, what was your reasoning for that high of a request OP?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

I made the same mistake many years ago, and to this day the Bank doesn't believe it was an honest mistake.  You can explain, but unless there's a central figure who understands what you're explaining, good luck on clearing it up!

The results were the Bank I made the mistake with never fully trusted me again.  So, I moved on.  It was my mistake.

After that, I always push payments rather than pulling them.  Anything to reduce that kind of unwitting error.

Message 5 of 14
chan85
Established Contributor

Oh that was a typo- request was for $2500.... and from a payment perpective, I have almost a year of payment history with no problems. The fact that the returned checks came from 2 different accounts to me is irrelevant, especially since they have received payments from both banks at some point throughout the year.

I get what you are saying though, there is cause for concern on their part. But it would be nice to get a straight answer when you ask them their policy concerning it.....

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 6 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

I made the same mistake many years ago, and to this day the Bank doesn't believe it was an honest mistake.  You can explain, but unless there's a central figure who understands what you're explaining, good luck on clearing it up!

The results were the Bank I made the mistake with never fully trusted me again.  So, I moved on.  It was my mistake.

After that, I always push payments rather than pulling them.  Anything to reduce that kind of unwitting error.

For something as petty as that, I'd shut them down on the phone after them not believing me. When you question my trust, you lose me as a customer.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

For something as petty as that, I'd shut them down on the phone after them not believing me. When you question my trust, you lose me as a customer.

I did.  And, to this day, I still won't do business with them.

They're a local bank.  Fast forward almost 15 years later, they were one of the local banks vying for our Firm's business a couple of years ago.  This sounds petty, but I told my partners, over my dead body will we give them any of our business.

Message 8 of 14
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

I did.  And, to this day, I still won't do business with them.

They're a local bank.  Fast forward almost 15 years later, they were one of the local banks vying for our Firm's business a couple of years ago.  This sounds petty, but I told my partners, over my dead body will we give them any of our business.

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 14
GB44
Contributor

@chan85 wrote:

Oh that was a typo- request was for $2500.... and from a payment perpective, I have almost a year of payment history with no problems. The fact that the returned checks came from 2 different accounts to me is irrelevant, especially since they have received payments from both banks at some point throughout the year.

I get what you are saying though, there is cause for concern on their part. But it would be nice to get a straight answer when you ask them their policy concerning it.....

I'm glad that was a typo!

I might have missed something but I thought you said the account was opened in March of last year? If that is the case, then it would make it just under a years history with two returned payments? 

Like Open123 mentioned: You should start to push your payments to prevent these types of issues in the future.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.