Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCPENNY CLD'd me 90% of Credit Limit!!!

tag
vollybal
Regular Contributor

JCPENNY CLD'd me 90% of Credit Limit!!!

Oh Man, I just received a letter from GE Money/JCpenney stating that they have decided to lower my CL. The funny thing about this is that I just paid the Card off!!! So pretty much they let me pay a lot of money to them just to cut the limit to almost nothing...I will be calling them tomorrow and see what I can have them do to restore the limit.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: JCPENNY CLD'd me 90% of Credit Limit!!!

ouch!  very sorry to hear that!
Message 2 of 9
vollybal
Regular Contributor

The sad thing is that I knew this might happen because one of my TLs from the past just updated there files incorrectly and put 8 lates in 08 and 07 on my report when it was closed in 06! I just verified with GE money that that was why they killed my credit limit. I have contacted the creditor and they are going to correct it but now I have to sit tight and hopew that no other creditors do the same thing.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear this happened to you, volly.

There have been tons of posts on other forums about the aggressive AA being taken by GEMB against holders of their cards (e.g. Care Credit, JCP, Lowes, Paypal, Walmart, Sam's Club, etc).  According to speculation/rumor, the prime targets for AA are those who either (1) haven't used the card in a long time; and (2) those who have recent blemishes on their reports. 

If any posters fall into either or both of those categories, you might want to check any GEMB cards that you have.  (Some whose accounts were closed for inactivity only have reported success having them reopened.)

Message 4 of 9
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Don't forget, lurknomore, that another of these prime targets are those who carry balances for a certain amount of time. I've seen AA on people who've carried a balance for three months.

@Anonymous wrote:

There have been tons of posts on other forums about the aggressive AA being taken by GEMB against holders of their cards (e.g. Care Credit, JCP, Lowes, Paypal, Walmart, Sam's Club, etc).  According to speculation/rumor, the prime targets for AA are those who either (1) haven't used the card in a long time; and (2) those who have recent blemishes on their reports. 

If any posters fall into either or both of those categories, you might want to check any GEMB cards that you have.  (Some whose accounts were closed for inactivity only have reported success having them reopened.)

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear this and i know the feeling i was cld once due to a cash advance with best buy (hsbc).
Message 6 of 9
USC08
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Question to reason #1: Is having a balance on a card and not using it but "paying it off" considered activity regardless? I mean, would they take AA for that? Anyone know?
myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 7 of 9
Uniqua
Established Contributor

USC08, I wouldn't classify that as activity. Some CCCs may still take AA even if there is no card usage but a balance is being carried. This isn't the rule for all CCCs, but nowadays too many are suffering from AA simply because they are carrying balances (even while paying more than minimum amount and paying on time).
Message Edited by Uniqua on 11-05-2008 03:09 PM
Message 8 of 9
vollybal
Regular Contributor

I just got off the phone with JCpenneys and had to escalate to the managers and above and they want to pull a hard inq. I told them under no circumstance do I want that. I informed them that they soft pull all the time on me to CLI over the years on this account and I want that to happen. I informed them of the fact that I just paid off the card and that I use this card heavy over christmas...Not really but it might help...The manager told me that she will contact me on Monday and let me know what they can do for me. Hopefully they will give it back, they were very nice and appreciated the fact that I have corected the error and was proactive to this change.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.