cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCPenney/Kohls are they easier to get approved inside the store?

tag
Erinkkelly
Valued Member

JCPenney/Kohls are they easier to get approved inside the store?

Does anybody know if you have better odds to get approved for a JcPenney or Kohls store card inside the store? I shop at these two store a lot so I believe they would be beneficial to me. I've applied for a kohls card online a year ago and was denied, I applied for a JCPenney card about 4 months ago and was denied. So I rather be told I'm denied by a computer than a cashier! Smiley Happy I've heard some people get approved inside the store easier and just curious if anyone has any experience.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: JCPenney/Kohls are they easier to get approved inside the store?

I work at JCP, and sometimes it's easier to get approved in the store because typically you're applying due to a purchase. Though I do not have "proof" of the odds.

If you'd like a better chance, on our application through the store we have a "pending sale amount" box. This typically is used for the furniture or jewelry department to help the customer not only get approved, but receive a better starting limit to cover the cost of the purchase. Even though you may not be buying furniture or jewelry, just ask the sales associate if they could input your purchase amount anyways, say like $200. This will help the system lean more in your favor.

Since I've never used the said input, instant approval amounts range from $500-$2000. Lately, I have not seen anything lower nor higher. It's been a long time since I saw instant approval amounts of $150 or $7000!

Also, it may actually be easier if you get denied, too. We have a store backdoor number to the credit center, which I'm sure would be very happy to put through a recon request. After all, the store DOES want your business Smiley Happy The card is backed by GE.

Kohl's is backed by Cap One, who may be fairly easy. My mom is thinking of applying for the card because our family friend works for the store and wants to help her with credit apps...after I told my mom who backs it, she wrinkled her nose. Cap One just denied her for an auto loan refi. I really hope she doesn't apply, she needs to cool her jets and pay off what she has!

Message 2 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 17
Erinkkelly
Valued Member

Its been awhile...but the normal general answers: collection,too recent credit, inquires. I'm working on my credit, should be really good in a year-5 collections will fall of a new credit will grow. I haven't been late on anything in over 2 years.
Message 4 of 17
Ron1
Super Contributor

I think you have a good chance to get approved for JCPenney card. They're pretty easy to get.  Kohls card is tougher to get. IMO. It took me two times to get the card.  I was applying inside the store.

Ron.

Message 5 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 17
Erinkkelly
Valued Member

There has been a lot in the past year...I got a new car so a lot there, 6 new accounts, plus a few denials mixed in. A lot of my credit is new, but all great...I'll never be late again on anything! There are a lot! I'm getting ready to go garden for year!
Message 7 of 17
Erinkkelly
Valued Member

What about Target? They denied me too online...easier to get in store? I haven't really heard that card is amazing but just curious...
Message 8 of 17
myjourney
Super Contributor

OP sorry for denials

IMHO

When anyone starts to see denials it's time to stop all app's.

Look over your credit profile.

Retreat to the garden

Let INQ's & cards age,

AAoA increase

Scores rebound.

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

+1

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.