Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCPenney MC upgrade?

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

JCPenney MC upgrade?

So got an email this morning that JCPenney was sending me an upgrade to their MC version of their card. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about it since I very rarely use this card but still keep it active since it's one of my oldest credit lines, but I then realized because it's Sync and how they like to open new tradelines when doing upgrades like their Walmart cards I got curious.

Researched this topic but I just want to confirm that as long as I don't activate the card when it arrives (debating SDing or cutting it up atm) that my original account info (age of account, payment history, etc.) will stay intact and can continue using my old card when I want to and occasionally buy a shirt to keep the account alive.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: JCPenney MC upgrade?

Oh you lucky dog youSmiley Wink This is the magical dragon many of us would like from Pennies. I know there might be better cards available but its a tuff nut to crackSmiley Wink

Im not sure if you ignore it they wont auto change it. I would probably call to let it be known you are not interested in the change. Never leave it in the hands of Sync- you just might get- hronySmiley Happy
Message 2 of 5
atarvuzdar
Established Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

So got an email this morning that JCPenney was sending me an upgrade to their MC version of their card. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about it since I very rarely use this card but still keep it active since it's one of my oldest credit lines, but I then realized because it's Sync and how they like to open new tradelines when doing upgrades like their Walmart cards I got curious.

Researched this topic but I just want to confirm that as long as I don't activate the card when it arrives (debating SDing or cutting it up atm) that my original account info (age of account, payment history, etc.) will stay intact and can continue using my old card when I want to and occasionally buy a shirt to keep the account alive.

Yes, they would open a new tradeline for the upgrade IF you accept. Happened to me last year when they gave me the same offer. Still regret accepting it but what's done is done. Got the same offer for my Walmart card this year and didn't accept the upgrade. Still shows my old account since I didn't accept. No new tradeline. That was several months ago but it still shows a link to upgrade every time I log in now.

FICO 8: EQ 846 / TU 836 / EX 832
AMEX Platinum / BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $99,900 / Chase CSR $43,400 / Citi Double Cash $39,600 / AMEX EveryDay $30,000 / Discover It $26,000 / Gemini $25,000 / JetBlue $25,000 / Chase Freedom Unlimited $22,500
Message 3 of 5
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@atarvuzdar wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Yes, they would open a new tradeline for the upgrade IF you accept. Happened to me last year when they gave me the same offer. Still regret accepting it but what's done is done. Got the same offer for my Walmart card this year and didn't accept the upgrade. Still shows my old account since I didn't accept. No new tradeline. That was several months ago but it still shows a link to upgrade every time I log in now.

Alright, that's good to know. Thanks for the heads up there.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, thanks for the information about them opning a new tradeline if you accept. I called and asked about getting htis card when I first heard about it boy am I glad I didn't get it because I most deffinitely would have activated it.  It's also one of my oldest cards.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.