Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JCPenney Mastercard Upgrade

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: JCPenney Mastercard Upgrade

Count me in as one who rarely uses the card.  Similar to my Wal/Disc upgrade, I guess they are trying to entice me. Smiley Wink

Message 11 of 19
aaronj91
Established Member

Is this only for really active users?

I have JCP card for almost 4 years. But I've only spent $170 this year total

Capital One Quicksilver ($2,000) JCP Gold ($4,300), Citi Forward ($1,600), Bank of America Cash Rewards ($2,000), Discover IT ($1,000), Kohl’s MVC ($1,000)
Message 12 of 19
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@aaronj91 wrote:

Is this only for really active users?

I have JCP card for almost 4 years. But I've only spent $170 this year total

That's what I'm trying to figure out, aaron.

In the past, it was people whose accounts were about to close out for inactivity that they decided to send them all Mastercards in hopes they'd use it again.

Lexie above reports not using it very often (a few swipes, if that, a year). On another forum I read somebody who claims to not use the card often, but when they do they spend a good chunk considering they were at the Platinum level (>$1k spend a year).

I've had the card since July 2010 and have consistently been Platinum ever since; I was not offered an upgrade to Mastercard. I've been using the card less frequently this year because I no longer work for them. However, I am finishing up a 0% offer so it's possible that disqualified me from the upgrade during their decision-making process. Likely didn't want to mess with that Smiley Tongue But who knows! Will be interesting to see if they'll continue with upgrades to compete with Macy's, or if it'll disappear for a few years again.

Message 13 of 19
dccordell
Established Member

Is it normal for the old card (the "store" card) to show as CLOSED and a new TL (with brand new open date) listed on my credit report?

That sure did put a dent in my AAoA, and therefore my score by about 20 points! Oh well... seems unfair, but I guess I would have taken it anyways. My CL got bumped from $3900 to $7k! Couldn't believe it...

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

woodyman100 - there was no guarantee you would have been upgraded to a JC Penney Master Card. It has been on my mind to close the store cards I have as shopping through Discover, Chase and so on has brought me better rewards. Also, don't want to get closed for inactivity.
Message 15 of 19
TatorTodd
Regular Contributor

@dccordell wrote:

Is it normal for the old card (the "store" card) to show as CLOSED and a new TL (with brand new open date) listed on my credit report?

That sure did put a dent in my AAoA, and therefore my score by about 20 points! Oh well... seems unfair, but I guess I would have taken it anyways. My CL got bumped from $3900 to $7k! Couldn't believe it...

This happend to me, i posted about it.  I called them and they said its an accident, but to fix it, you must file a complaint and fax them in your actual credit report proving it is showing up as a new tradeline, and automaticaly closing the old one

NCFU Flagship(80k) DC Elite (40k) Cash Sapphire Preferred(38k) DC Premier (30k) NFCU CashRewards (25k) USAA Amex (22k) USAA MasterCard (16k) Barclay Arrival+ Elite (15k) Nordstrom (15k) BofA Rewards (12.5k) 4 Amices (50k)

As of 10/13/14
Experian: 787 - EquiFax: 798 - TU: 789
Message 16 of 19
tray
Valued Contributor

@TatorTodd wrote:

@dccordell wrote:

This happend to me, i posted about it.  I called them and they said its an accident, but to fix it, you must file a complaint and fax them in your actual credit report proving it is showing up as a new tradeline, and automaticaly closing the old one

Same thing happened to me did they tell you what fax number to fax the credit report , also would you file a complaint right on jcpenny website customer contact link thanks for any information if I could get this mastercard account not showing up as new that would be a good thing......

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 17 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@TatorTodd wrote:

@dccordell wrote:

Please update us if your TL info was corrected and the fax number you were provided. 

Message 18 of 19
chan85
Established Contributor

@TatorTodd wrote:

@dccordell wrote:

I thought it was considered a new TL? That's how its been with all my GE store cards that switched over....

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.