Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JJill - Comenity Bank "Account Assure" charges never OK'd

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

JJill - Comenity Bank "Account Assure" charges never OK'd

I have been a JJill cardholder for just over a year now.  I also requested paperless billing.  When I make a purchase, I note it in my calendar, as well as receive an email from JJill.

For the first time EVER today, I received in my email:

"Account Assure

Protection on a rainy day.

Dear _____,

Account Assure provides peace of mind for unexpected life events.

You made a smart decision when you enrolled your J. Jill Credit Card account ending in _____ in Account Assure. Account Assure may cancel the balance owed on your account as of the day before your loss if you experience a covered event.

Protecting you. 

Protecting your account."

Um, what?

No mention of a fee, so I sign in online, and ... WOW.

Sporadic charges (not every month?!), plus a $25.00 late fee, of which I was NEVER notified.

1 - I feel like an idiot, because there it is, in ink.

2 - I have no recollection of ever okaying this, and do not see that I automatically gave permission when I signed up for the card.

I am a pretty smart gal and quick to spot stuff like this, hence my further embarrassment and anger.  I am just now able to get my credit looking good and am quite proud of that.

Of course both JJill, and Comenity Bank, who provides this questionable service, are closed when I discover this.  So instead of fuming, I am trying to find a reasonable solution Smiley Happy

I am fighting the impulse to scream at them over the phone, demanding a credit, and closing the card effective immediately, like the drama queen I am.  But, from what I read here, it is NOT a good idea to cancel the card (plus, I really do love JJill stuff).

Suggestions?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: JJill - Comenity Bank "Account Assure" charges never OK'd

First call them and have them explain how and when you supposedly signed up.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, alright. Smiley Happy

I am planning to; just needed to vent as well as find out if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks for the reply!

Message 3 of 7
mirachi
Regular Contributor

If it helps, I signed up for that Account Assure thing yesterday when I was activating my card (CSR read something that must have been about a page long) so that might be it?

EDIT: Try calling this number 866-293-9210 to speak to Account Assure's CSR/cancel (They're only open M-F 7AM-10PM ET)

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 4 of 7
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

How long have they been charging you for this.  The way those work is that they charge a percent of balance.  Should be not no charge if no balance.  I would call them a try to get the late fee waived and no bad marks on your report.  Someone on this site may have a number for a higher up (backdoor).  Backdoor should be able to help you better than the number on the back of the card. 

If it was me and it came down to it.  I would pay late fee (only to avoid a bad mark ).  I would cancel the credit protection (if you do not want it).  I would not cancel the card, you like the store and havent had a problem up till now.  If you yell at them it wont get you very far nor will telling them that you will cancel the card (the will probably just say ok!) 

If it got to the point that you had to pay the late fee I would keep calling trying to credit for store or coupons or something.   Be polite and respectful but be FIRM. 

That is my opinion.  I hope others join in as well with some in put. 

edit I TYPED TO SLOW U2 BEAT ME

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 5 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I only have 1 Comenity Bank Card (Eddie Bauer). I logged on and it appeats they have no such service to sign up for.   Probably varies by store.

Message 6 of 7
mirachi
Regular Contributor

@Wolf3 wrote:

I only have 1 Comenity Bank Card (Eddie Bauer). I logged on and it appeats they have no such service to sign up for.   Probably varies by store.

try checking under account services (there should be an option for account assure)? (just be sure NOT to check that "I agree" box unless you want to sign up...)

Last app 5/7/2014

No apps until 3/31/2016!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.