cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JUST FOUND THIS INFO ABOUT YOU CLOSING YOUR CREDIT CARDS AND NOT THE CC COMPANY CLOSING IT.

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: JUST FOUND THIS INFO ABOUT YOU CLOSING YOUR CREDIT CARDS AND NOT THE CC COMPANY CLOSING IT.

These days, there have been so many accounts closed by grantors that I don't know if a future lender will even blink. They probably had a personal account closed on them as well. I have an old account that shows "closed by grantor", and I have never once been questioned about it. I also haven't been denied credit since I started learning how credit works.

For anyone else reading this, just to summarize:

If a card is closed, either by you or by the bank:

-- The account will stay on your reports for ten years after the closing date, although EQ has a way of losing closed accounts early. The account will still contribute to your AAoA during this time, and if it's your oldest account, you'll still have that date as your oldest account until it finally falls off your reports a decade later.

-- If you don't have balances report, or if they're pretty low, or if the CL on the card wasn't a big percentage of your total CL, your util will probably not be affected enough to change your scores.

-- The notations of "closed by consumer" or "closed by grantor" has absolutely no, repeat NO, effect on your FICO scores.

-- A future lender might question the notation, but I seriously doubt it these days. Everyone and his/her pet cat is having CC's closed.

For an enlightening explanation of all this, please read fused's "Closing Credit Cards" linked in my siggy below.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 13
Established Member

Re: JUST FOUND THIS INFO ABOUT YOU CLOSING YOUR CREDIT CARDS AND NOT THE CC COMPANY CLOSING IT.

yes agreed.  closed by the CC company I would think would look worse.  These agencies will probably change some of their rules, as I'm sure they have never seen this happen before, but who knows.  Right now I think any CC is scary. 
Message 12 of 13
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

The CRB's merely report what the issuers report to them.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.