Did you mean: 

January - 2015 Garden Thread

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: January - 2015 Garden Thread

@mongstradamus wrote:

@sparklerd34 wrote:

Yes thats what i was thinking as well.   i saw someone post about prime banks etc. I am appreciative about my store cards which helped me leverage where I am.  I just wanted to make sure im doing the right thing. I am taking my credit more serious than before. it seem kind of pointless to try for a secured after im already approved for unsecured.  The store cards keep me from running up my major cards now as my CL are not high.  I just wanted to get some opinions from my fellow experts.

Going for store cards during rebuild phase i don't think is an good idea. Yes its nice to get sp approval for store card, but the low limit+new TL+ card you may use sparingly is an over all negative imo. What i would just do is use the cards you have now intelligently for next 6-9 months and you will be in good shape. 

Thats pretty much how I feel about it but of course to each their own Smiley Happy Different methods work for different people

Message 111 of 2,048
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@sparklerd34 wrote:

Yes thats what i was thinking as well.   i saw someone post about prime banks etc. I am appreciative about my store cards which helped me leverage where I am.  I just wanted to make sure im doing the right thing. I am taking my credit more serious than before. it seem kind of pointless to try for a secured after im already approved for unsecured.  The store cards keep me from running up my major cards now as my CL are not high.  I just wanted to get some opinions from my fellow experts.

Going for store cards during rebuild phase i don't think is an good idea. Yes its nice to get sp approval for store card, but the low limit+new TL+ card you may use sparingly is an over all negative imo. What i would just do is use the cards you have now intelligently for next 6-9 months and you will be in good shape. 

This exactly.

Message 112 of 2,048
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Well my store card spree is done...  I did it because i couldnt get anything else.  Also i do indeed use them for work and kids.  So i applied for what i needed and use.  I do agree that store cards arent the best but for someone like me places like walmart etc i frequent with my kids so that im grateful for them allowing me the TL.   I use them wisely if i charge i only do 35 percent and i pay them off.  i appreciate all the feedback. i will use them wisely this tme around.  Ive learned from my mistakes.

Message 113 of 2,048
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sparklerd34 wrote:

Well my store card spree is done...  I did it because i couldnt get anything else.  Also i do indeed use them for work and kids.  So i applied for what i needed and use.  I do agree that store cards arent the best but for someone like me places like walmart etc i frequent with my kids so that im grateful for them allowing me the TL.   I use them wisely if i charge i only do 35 percent and i pay them off.  i appreciate all the feedback. i will use them wisely this tme around.  Ive learned from my mistakes.

Walmart can be useful if only for the free TU FICO.

Message 114 of 2,048
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Hey after a bankruptcy and 13 years no credit cards i couldnt go the route everyone else did. I focused on finishing my education. I completed my masters in may and making a good salary above average so with 2 little kids im grateful. 

Message 115 of 2,048
sparklerd34
Established Contributor

Hey everyone does things different as long as i finish on top. I like my walmart card it does its purpose when needed.

Message 116 of 2,048
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sparklerd34 wrote:

Hey after a bankruptcy and 13 years no credit cards i couldnt go the route everyone else did. I focused on finishing my education. I completed my masters in may and making a good salary above average so with 2 little kids im grateful. 

That's great!

I'm saying the Walmart card is more useful than most store cards because of this feature.

Message 117 of 2,048
nachoslibres
Established Contributor

Checking in.  My goal is no HPs for the entire year unless we end up getting a newer Honda Odyssey - which we are still on the fence about getting.

Message 118 of 2,048
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@sparklerd34 wrote:

I didn't mean to single you out, but as an general practice i don't think apping cards because you can get them now is the smartest idea. Every few months i would make an plan of cards you want , and I would only work on getting credit to the point that you can get cards you need not the cards can you can get. By setting up an plan you won't app willy nilly. I don't even know if thats an word. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 119 of 2,048
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@sparklerd34 wrote:

I didn't mean to single you out, but as an general practice i don't think apping cards because you can get them now is the smartest idea. Every few months i would make an plan of cards you want , and I would only work on getting credit to the point that you can get cards you need not the cards can you can get. By setting up an plan you won't app willy nilly. I don't even know if thats an word. 

Willi nilly is a word, or term.

Message 120 of 2,048
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.