Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jared / Kay Jewelers: Please Help

tag
ba6412
Established Member

Jared / Kay Jewelers: Please Help

Hi, 

I happen to be repairing my credit right now.  My EQ has gone from 474 to 600 since December.  I have paid off a lot of debt (over $14k) and I have opened 2 new credit cards.  I have proof of all of this. 

Will I be accepted for a Jared credit card if applied?

I am looking to buy an engagement ring for $2K.  Both Jared and Kay carry it.

Please any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Re: Jared / Kay Jewelers: Please Help

Not enough info... Is there anything else keeping your scores down besides your debt ? 

The he more info you give the better. List  your CC's with limits and balances..... Inquires ....... AAoA ......length of credit history and any baddies if you have any.

Message 2 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

They're getting touchy over collections.  If you have any, I'd wait it out and try to work for removals.

Message 3 of 8
Charger_Fan19
Contributor

I think because they do their own lending they tend to be more generous than other banks. My credit is not great and I have high utilization and a charge off 12 years ago from Kay's that I never paid and I was just able to open a Jared account. Initially I was declined but the manager was able to have it overturned because it was more than 10 years ago. They verified my employment and gave me $3500. Its worth a shot. 

Starting Score: EQ 500 TU 500 EX 500
Current Score: EQ 647 TU 685 EX 684 9/2/16 Recommitted to Fico Health! Smiley Happy
Goal Score: 700
Message 4 of 8
smoop88
Regular Contributor

When I was rebuilding my EQ was 570 or so and Jared gave me $1100 just know if you open Jared and Kay they both will share the limit. Example if you get approved for Kay at $1200 and open a Jared the credit line splits you will have $600 on each

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kay was one of the first cards I got when rebuilding. They gave me a $1000 CL with the caveat that I put 20% down on the purchase.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved yesterday for a Kay card. Scores in signatures. Three baddies from three years ago and they gave me 1650.
Message 7 of 8
_NERD
Established Contributor

To the OP. Did you apply? (=

I applied for Kay and Jared almost a year ago and was approved for 4k, not knowing the two accounts shared the credit limit jointly until after they reported to the CRAs. I don't remember if I had collections still or if they had already been deleted. They pulled EQ and my score was just over 600. I think I had collections & probably why I applied for store cards at the time.

No CLI yet, but I can't decide which one I want to close so I can have one account report 4k limit instead of two accounts splitting the limit on my CRs. They served their purpose very well. I'm no longer rebuilding, just building now. I do regret buying those expensive Citizen Eco Drive watches and carrying balances on those accounts.

3B profile optimization in progress...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.