cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jared's low CL

tag
Crazyfist

Jared's low CL

So I've been stalking here for the last couple of years, rebuilding my credit from when I (and ex-wife) destroyed it on active duty.  I've done well - was approved yesterday for 2 USAA CCs (World MasterCard and Amex) both with a 7000k limit.  3 months ago Chase gave me an IHG rewards card with 3500, and Ally gave me a loan for 52k on a new Tahoe with no down payment.  My EQ FICO is 740.   Walked into Jared’s today to look are engagement rings, and they gave me a CL of 2200.  I was a little put off, considering I make around 155k a year, and have decent credit now.  Their reason was that while I have plenty of credit out there I don’t use it.  That’s crap, because of the 2 cards I have been using for work, (IHG CHASE and USAA Amex 3500/5000k) I run 75-85% most months, then after the statement I pay them off for a month, then repeat.  So I use what credit I have, but I also pay it off.  If they looked at my high balance then they would see that.  Anyway, I could pay for the ring with cash, or put it on another CC, but I was hoping for another good TL with a high CL.  Since it's only 2200 should I close the account instead of keeping it since it's my lowest CL?  Of course they want me to put 2200 of the ring on the card, then pay it off and receive a CLI in 10 months.  

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Jared's low CL

@Crazyfist wrote:

So I've been stalking here for the last couple of years, rebuilding my credit from when I (and ex-wife) destroyed it on active duty.  I've done well - was approved yesterday for 2 USAA CCs (World MasterCard and Amex) both with a 7000k limit.  3 months ago Chase gave me an IHG rewards card with 3500, and Ally gave me a loan for 52k on a new Tahoe with no down payment.  My EQ FICO is 740.   Walked into Jared’s today to look are engagement rings, and they gave me a CL of 2200.  I was a little put off, considering I make around 155k a year, and have decent credit now.  Their reason was that while I have plenty of credit out there I don’t use it.  That’s crap, because of the 2 cards I have been using for work, (IHG CHASE and USAA Amex 3500/5000k) I run 75-85% most months, then after the statement I pay them off for a month, then repeat.  So I use what credit I have, but I also pay it off.  If they looked at my high balance then they would see that.  Anyway, I could pay for the ring with cash, or put it on another CC, but I was hoping for another good TL with a high CL.  Since it's only 2200 should I close the account instead of keeping it since it's my lowest CL?  Of course they want me to put 2200 of the ring on the card, then pay it off and receive a CLI in 10 months.  

What do you guys think?

since you already took the inquiry hit, and the new account is going to report regardless (which in turns lower your AAoA), might as well keep it for now.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Jared's low CL

Wonder if they have had a change of heart on their credit card... they are the same as Kay right? because I was given $1500 which allows me to charge close to $2k I think or something weird like that and I did not have your profile when I opened it!!!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.