Reply
Frequent Contributor
Brian_Trying_700
Posts: 446
Registered: ‎09-14-2011
0

Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard

Like the title states. Why whould you want a cc to use in only one store.  Whats your 2 cents.Macys, Khols etc. Off to bed tired.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Valued Contributor
j_casteel
Posts: 1,915
Registered: ‎06-21-2012
0

Re: Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard

[ Edited ]

Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

Like the title states. Why whould you want a cc to use in only one store.  Whats your 2 cents.Macys, Khols etc. Off to bed tired.


special 4inancing promotions, discounts, rewards, etc. also, if you can't get approved 4 a better card (Visa, MC, AMEX, Discover) then getting a store card is usually easier.

| Walmart $5k | Amazon $5k | NFCU $20k | NLOC $15k | Lowes $17k | BoA $17.5k | Freedom $3k | IT $4.5k | CSP $5k | Marriott $5k | AMEX TE $9k | Alaska $5k |
Starting Scores: EQ:571 EX:??? TU:597
Current Scores: EQ:694 EX:714 TU:711
Goal Scores: 700
across the board
Established Contributor
Cadillac-XTS
Posts: 1,837
Registered: ‎08-20-2012
0

Re: Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard

+1

Established Contributor
ccnewcc
Posts: 560
Registered: ‎09-29-2012
0

Re: Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard

I'm not a fan of store cards at all.  

 

I don't think the discounts or benefits that come with a store card are actually worth it compared to an actual card like a MC or a visa.

 

 

 

Valued Contributor
j_casteel
Posts: 1,915
Registered: ‎06-21-2012
0

Re: Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard


ccnewcc wrote:

I'm not a fan of store cards at all.  

 

I don't think the discounts or benefits that come with a store card are actually worth it compared to an actual card like a MC or a visa.

 

 

 


why don't you "think" the discounts or benefits are worth it?

 

Most all store cards have zero AF, offer 0% financing on purchases, give daily discounts on purchases, easier to get, and usually have nice/often CLI's. If you are a person that never goes to those stores, and does not like saving money or finding the best deal then I could understand your view point.

| Walmart $5k | Amazon $5k | NFCU $20k | NLOC $15k | Lowes $17k | BoA $17.5k | Freedom $3k | IT $4.5k | CSP $5k | Marriott $5k | AMEX TE $9k | Alaska $5k |
Starting Scores: EQ:571 EX:??? TU:597
Current Scores: EQ:694 EX:714 TU:711
Goal Scores: 700
across the board
Established Contributor
ccnewcc
Posts: 560
Registered: ‎09-29-2012
0

Re: Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard


j_casteel wrote:

ccnewcc wrote:

I'm not a fan of store cards at all.  

 

I don't think the discounts or benefits that come with a store card are actually worth it compared to an actual card like a MC or a visa.

 

 

 


why don't you "think" the discounts or benefits are worth it?

 

Most all store cards have zero AF, offer 0% financing on purchases, give daily discounts on purchases, easier to get, and usually have nice/often CLI's. If you are a person that never goes to those stores, and does not like saving money or finding the best deal then I could understand your view point.


Baby in the highchair that doesn't like extra CB.  Gotch ya.

 

To each his own.

 

Store "credit" is antiquated.

 

I don't think the gimmacks, promotions, discounts, whatever benefits are worth it.  Not worth the HP, not worth the money, not worth the time management, not worth the budgeting, not worth the calucalations, not worth the headaches, not worth the "oh i was gonna shop here, but since i get a discount at so and so store cuz of my so and so store card, then I will drive over there to shop instead"  not worth the gotta keep it active or it will get canceled, not worth the extra TL that doesnt add to my total aval CL util, not worth the....should i go on??

 

Store Cards are not worth it, imo.

Valued Contributor
j_casteel
Posts: 1,915
Registered: ‎06-21-2012
0

Re: Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard


ccnewcc wrote:

j_casteel wrote:

ccnewcc wrote:

I'm not a fan of store cards at all.  

 

I don't think the discounts or benefits that come with a store card are actually worth it compared to an actual card like a MC or a visa.

 

 

 


why don't you "think" the discounts or benefits are worth it?

 

Most all store cards have zero AF, offer 0% financing on purchases, give daily discounts on purchases, easier to get, and usually have nice/often CLI's. If you are a person that never goes to those stores, and does not like saving money or finding the best deal then I could understand your view point.


Baby in the highchair that doesn't like extra CB.  Gotch ya.

 

To each his own.

 

Store "credit" is antiquated.

 

I don't think the gimmacks, promotions, discounts, whatever benefits are worth it.  Not worth the HP, not worth the money, not worth the time management, not worth the budgeting, not worth the calucalations, not worth the headaches, not worth the "oh i was gonna shop here, but since i get a discount at so and so store cuz of my so and so store card, then I will drive over there to shop instead"  not worth the gotta keep it active or it will get canceled, not worth the extra TL that doesnt add to my total aval CL util, not worth the....should i go on??

 

Store Cards are not worth it, imo.


i already budget, calculate, and plan my shopping/expenses whether i had store cards or not. I can definitely see where if you didn't do any of that then having more than one card or shopping at multiple stores would make for a migraine.

| Walmart $5k | Amazon $5k | NFCU $20k | NLOC $15k | Lowes $17k | BoA $17.5k | Freedom $3k | IT $4.5k | CSP $5k | Marriott $5k | AMEX TE $9k | Alaska $5k |
Starting Scores: EQ:571 EX:??? TU:597
Current Scores: EQ:694 EX:714 TU:711
Goal Scores: 700
across the board
Contributor
cardslayer
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-08-2008
0

Re: Jareds Vs Visa or Mastercard

I have 5 (personal) store cards -

 

Sears - worst card ever for me, but does help with the Shop Your Way rewards, which seem to add up nicely. Bad CL and haven't been able to score a CLI. Backed by Citi

Bloomingdales - Decent card and gets financing promo's, also has rewards which, depending on promo, can far exceed your best CB card for future purchases. Often promos for extra 5-15% off when you use this card especially on sale prices.

Nordstroms - They just give awesome limits. They have a rewards that are decent and amount to 2% towards buying more stuff there. Also have a great Visa Signature product which negates the store card aspect (I just have the store card right now)

Target - 5% off at the register. Horrible limits though, but enough to buy baby supplies and general household stuff for a month and PIF

Ben Bridge jewlery card - Did a Rolex promo a couple years back 12mo 0% easy with the credit lines, have $10k line reporting every month with $0 balance.

 

I also have a couple of business cards, namely Staples and Office Depot - these are both no PG (when they were still doing that about 5yrs ago) and have decent limits now ($3500 and $1500, respectively) which is good for a no PG card. There is no point other than establishing business credit for these cards. Both backed by Citi


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}