cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JetBlue MasterCard - Now Taking Applications (with Sign Up Bonus)

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: JetBlue MasterCard - Now Taking Applications (with Sign Up Bonus)

@kdm31091 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Checked out the T&C page for the card, and it looked like the 3 APR tiers being offered were a bit too high, for my liking  Smiley Sad  Prolly won't app, will just keep using my Cap1 and BoA travel cards...

I really don't understand that....not saying you should apply for a card you don't want, but the APR shouldn't really matter. Almost every rewards card has a crappy APR if you are going to actually be subject to it (even "lower end" like 12% isn't great), so realistically, what's the difference? I totally get that it feels insulting to get a higher APR, and we like APR reductions because it makes us feel good, but it shouldn't make any practical difference in deciding whether to apply or not because any APR on a rewards card is "too high" if you are actually going to regularly pay interest.

It is the principle of it.  Kinda like how you cancelled your Cap1 QS card due to the APRSmiley Happy.. Most of us don't carry balances on this forum so the rewards don't get diluted, but if you ever need to you want to do it on the best terms possible.  Just my humble opinion that is why I hit all my lenders up every few months for APR reductions.. Never carry a balance, but I guarantee one day I will have to carry one and at that point I want to pay the least I can reward card or notSmiley Happy

Message 21 of 48
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Checked out the T&C page for the card, and it looked like the 3 APR tiers being offered were a bit too high, for my liking  Smiley Sad  Prolly won't app, will just keep using my Cap1 and BoA travel cards...

I really don't understand that....not saying you should apply for a card you don't want, but the APR shouldn't really matter. Almost every rewards card has a crappy APR if you are going to actually be subject to it (even "lower end" like 12% isn't great), so realistically, what's the difference? I totally get that it feels insulting to get a higher APR, and we like APR reductions because it makes us feel good, but it shouldn't make any practical difference in deciding whether to apply or not because any APR on a rewards card is "too high" if you are actually going to regularly pay interest.

It is the principle of it.  Kinda like how you cancelled your Cap1 QS card due to the APRSmiley Happy.. Most of us don't carry balances on this forum so the rewards don't get diluted, but if you ever need to you want to do it on the best terms possible.  Just my humble opinion that is why I hit all my lenders up every few months for APR reductions.. Never carry a balance, but I guarantee one day I will have to carry one and at that point I want to pay the least I can reward card or notSmiley Happy

Right, but not applying for a card at all because of APR is a little different. It's not like this card has an across-the-board 29% APR or something. Just the relatively standard tiers. So if you aren't interested in this card due to APR, I would think you wouldn't be interested in many cards that have the same levels of APR.

Message 22 of 48
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

Understood and agreed that rewards cards typically have not-so-great APRs to begin with, which is why I try whenever possible to find rewards cards with lower-than-usual APRs  Smiley Happy  I currently have a few of those in my cc collection, but inevitably, for certain rewards cards like the Chase Freedom, BoA BBR and a few others, I really had no choice but to accept higher APRs than I would have ideally liked, or otherwise not have the card at all.  I guess I'm just old-school in that I like low APRs and since I tend to carry balances on some cards, and regardless of whether the cards carry rewards or not.

Message 23 of 48
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@AzaleaB wrote:

Ugly card -jeez who designed this? Still decent perks even for current card holders. I should have kept my JetBlue Amex...

Don't laugh ...but I do actually like the look Smiley Happy

Message 24 of 48
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Right, but not applying for a card at all because of APR is a little different. It's not like this card has an across-the-board 29% APR or something. Just the relatively standard tiers. So if you aren't interested in this card due to APR, I would think you wouldn't be interested in many cards that have the same levels of APR.

If I remember right, the lowest available rate of the 3 tiers was 12.24% V, and the other 2 higher tiers were over 20% V.  So for pretty much everyone who applies for the card, unless you meet the UW criteria for the 12.24% rate, you are automatically going to have an APR of either 20.24% or 25.24%...

Message 25 of 48
Officer737
Established Contributor

I actually like the looks of the card. I actually like the company as well. When two New York police officers were murdered in their patrol cars, Jetblue flew more than 300 police officers across the country to New York free of charge to attend the funeral. They give discounts to military vets. Have flown family members of deceased veterans so they could attend funerals they normally would not have been able to afford. You can rack up some points by using some of their vacation programs and paying with your JB card and max the points that way with them. For the first 90 days if you run $1,000 thru the new card you get 10,000 pints to apply towards future travel with them. They are also expanding their areas as well. 

Message 26 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Officer737 wrote:

I actually like the looks of the card. I actually like the company as well. When two New York police officers were murdered in their patrol cars, Jetblue flew more than 300 police officers across the country to New York free of charge to attend the funeral. They give discounts to military vets. Have flown family members of deceased veterans so they could attend funerals they normally would not have been able to afford. You can rack up some points by using some of their vacation programs and paying with your JB card and max the points that way with them. For the first 90 days if you run $1,000 thru the new card you get 10,000 pints to apply towards future travel with them. They are also expanding their areas as well. 

That alone makes me want to get the card

ex police officer Irish80

Message 27 of 48
Officer737
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Officer737 wrote:

If I was closer I'd buy you a beer brother! im 17 years into my career so far, im an FTO at my department. By the way, Notre Dame kicks arse!

Message 28 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the designs as well. Not a bad card...I wish they didn't fly out of just Boston in my area.

Message 29 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Officer737 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Officer737 wrote:

If I was closer I'd buy you a beer brother! im 17 years into my career so far, im an FTO at my department. By the way, Notre Dame kicks arse!

Sounds like a plan.  Being a FTO takes some extra patience.  Stay safe!

Message 30 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.