Did you mean: 

Jetblue vs Alaska airline

tag
fedxboy
Established Contributor

Re: Jetblue vs Alaska airline

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

I don't know much about JetBlue.  They say they fly out of Cleveland, OH and go to Austin, TX, but every time I look online -- it says, no flights avail.  I haven't flown them yet, nor used my miles.  Someday, I'll call them.  My card was an Amex Jetblue that was purchased by Barclays. 

Just a quick note, I took a look and JetBlue only flies to Boston and Ft. Lauderdale out of Cleveland. The thing about JetBlue is that their route network is much smaller, and they aren't as extensive like Southwest, Delta, etc...but they are getting there. So if you don't live in one of their hubs...most likely your only direct options are going to be Boston, Ft. Lauderdale, and JFK. And taking a connecting flight isn't really feasible with them. Who wants to fly from Cleveland to Boston/Ft. Lauderdale just to get to Austin?

You're correct with your summation, but if you're into it only for the miles, then you can't beat free travel essentially.  Now, I really only app'd for the JETBLUE card since it was formerly with AMEX and it was my 3rd (backdated card to 1988) which helped my AAOA.  It's no longer with Amex anymore, but I still have 2 other backdated cards.

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fedxboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

I don't know much about JetBlue.  They say they fly out of Cleveland, OH and go to Austin, TX, but every time I look online -- it says, no flights avail.  I haven't flown them yet, nor used my miles.  Someday, I'll call them.  My card was an Amex Jetblue that was purchased by Barclays. 

Just a quick note, I took a look and JetBlue only flies to Boston and Ft. Lauderdale out of Cleveland. The thing about JetBlue is that their route network is much smaller, and they aren't as extensive like Southwest, Delta, etc...but they are getting there. So if you don't live in one of their hubs...most likely your only direct options are going to be Boston, Ft. Lauderdale, and JFK. And taking a connecting flight isn't really feasible with them. Who wants to fly from Cleveland to Boston/Ft. Lauderdale just to get to Austin?

You're correct with your summation, but if you're into it only for the miles, then you can't beat free travel essentially.  Now, I really only app'd for the JETBLUE card since it was formerly with AMEX and it was my 3rd (backdated card to 1988) which helped my AAOA.  It's no longer with Amex anymore, but I still have 2 other backdated cards.

Oh OK, that makes sense then. That's kind of like me with Hilton...I rarely stay in hotels but went with them since they are AmEx and were giving a nice sign up bonus on the no AF card.

Oddly enough I just signed up with Alaska since they are giving away 5k miles to members who sign up and book their first flight. No idea if I'll get around to flying them in the timeframe, but you never know. They don't really go where I go. But for someone like the OP who lives on the West coast, it doesn't seem like you could wrong with either airline.

Message 12 of 19
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

Oh OK, that makes sense then. That's kind of like me with Hilton...I rarely stay in hotels but went with them since they are AmEx and were giving a nice sign up bonus on the no AF card.

Oddly enough I just signed up with Alaska since they are giving away 5k miles to members who sign up and book their first flight. No idea if I'll get around to flying them in the timeframe, but you never know. They don't really go where I go. But for someone like the OP who lives on the West coast, it doesn't seem like you could wrong with either airline.

@Alaska didn't fly where I wanted to go either, but you can still use their MILES on 17 other different airlines.  Airlines listed in pic.  I used the miles on American and Delta already and my former Elevate points from Virgin America transferred to Alaska @ 3 Alaska miles for every 1 Elevate point, resulting in another free 1 waySmiley Very Happy

Alaska Airline partners.png

(7/23/16) AMEX FICO EX 728, (6/20/16) Discover FICO TU 747, (7/24/16) Barclays FICO 750 (TC Lines $400+K) AAoA= 4.3 yrs
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fedxboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@Alaska didn't fly where I wanted to go either, but you can still use their MILES on 17 other different airlines.  Airlines listed in pic.  I used the miles on American and Delta already and my former Elevate points from Virgin America transferred to Alaska @ 3 Alaska miles for every 1 Elevate point, resulting in another free 1 waySmiley Very Happy

Good point. But I just meant that the terms of the 5k sign up offer require your first fight to be on an Alaska or Virgin operated flight.

Message 14 of 19
fedxboy
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fedxboy wrote:

Good point. But I just meant that the terms of the 5k sign up offer require your first fight to be on an Alaska or Virgin operated flight.

Oh okay, I didn't know about that stipulation.  Sorry to the OP, as I didn't mean to override your original question; however, all in all....it's all good advice!!

Message 15 of 19
Creditfan1234
Contributor

I have them both and there are some pros and cons to both as many others have mentioned. We personally fly into LGB two to three times a year just to go to Newport and Huntington Beach on the weekend so JetBlue is a great option for us. I have the plus card and the free baggage helps and also earning miles adds up when they do the 4,000 mile flights out of SLC that we snag. Also, you can use your JetBlue points on Hawaiian Airlines and fly out of LAX. Now with Alaska you have way more partners and with the signature card you can get the companion pass with your card which is a sweet deal
and they have way more partners then JetBlue does. Also,more flights around the west coast compared too JetBlue. Why not get them both? Test the waters if your willing to open up two new accounts.
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a situation where getting them both might make sense? If the annual fee on both don't make sense I can always downgrade to the no fee Jetblue card and use the 2x on groceries to get points?
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the Alaska and Virgini merger will the Virginia America card get converted to Alaska cards?
Message 18 of 19
Creditfan1234
Contributor

Getting them both depends on your situation. For me it works because we fly often. Plus a $180 in annual fees almost gets zeroed out when you look at the benefits of both cards. It'd say do it and if you don't want to keep the JetBlue plus card downgrade it too the non-annual fee card
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.