Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jewelry Financing Engagement Ring?

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Jewelry Financing Engagement Ring?

FWIW, in December 2010 I applied for a Kay's card, as I  read that  it's an easy card to get and they tend to be generous with CL. My scores at the time were very similar to yours and I had both COs and CAs on my reports. I was approved for $5100. It might be worth a try for you.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 11 of 17
bflem55
Valued Member

They are both closed now does that ever help that I did do business with them before
Message 12 of 17
Smug
Established Contributor

Buy a plain band, and in 10 years buy her a awesome diamond, as a woman I think it's stupid to buy something you can't afford, you can use the money for your first home.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 13 of 17
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

you maybe able to get 0% from kay, but many will tell you kay doesnt have the best diamonds, however my fiance' is very happy so am I

What are you talking about? Every kiss begins with Kay.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 14 of 17
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

@Smug wrote:
Buy a plain band, and in 10 years buy her a awesome diamond, as a woman I think it's stupid to buy something you can't afford, you can use the money for your first home.

Amen!

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apparently my first post in this thread was offensive, despite it clearly meaning "you have these two positives, so why do you have this negative that doesn't follow the pattern displayed by the positives?"  <-- Obviously not offensive.  It was analagous to "you're intelligent and motivated, so why didn't you graduate from college?" 

Anyway, I think you should get something you can afford and, if you want, get something nicer later down the road when you've got more money saved up. 

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course they vary greatly.

a .57ct D/IF diamond in platinum can cost the same as a 1.67ct 3 stone ring in 18k gold. What he's likely to find at Kay, etc is poorly cut, included diamonds for the price of a much higher quality stone when sourced directly.

Diamond clarity, color, cut, and to some extent source greatly impact the cost of the diamond. Additionally, the setting can be cheap or very elaborate.

OP, don't buy a diamond if you need to finance it. They are almost worthless once no longer new and it would be the equivalent of financing a car you're certain will lose 65% of the value the moment you buy it. Buy a moissanite or a gemstone if you don't have the $$ available. Diamonds aren't the be-all-end-all of engagement rings.

That said, BlueNile finances with both in house financing and with BillMeLater, so you may have a shot there. Their diamonds are generally excellent quality. Look for something that is "triple excellent" aka excellent cut, excellent polish, excellent symmetry.  The size may be smaller than what you had in mind but it is WORTH IT.

Here is the link to their financing information: http://www.bluenile.com/services_channel.jsp

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.