cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Join a Credit Union, ap their Visa, check experian score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Join a Credit Union, ap their Visa, check experian score?

I wonder what kind of agreement this ceredit union in Pennsylvania has with experian.
Message 11 of 25
keith021
Regular Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
My son got an auto loan through USAA. We had pulled his EQ that morning, knowing that it would be the one that was hit.

When he was approved, he asked what his score was, but the CSR apologized and said that he couldn't tell him.

This is very common. Some people are told their scores, but most are not.

It was explained to us once that the lenders have an agreement with the credit bureaus not to tell us our scores...that it's part of their agreement.

So...I think those "rules" are broken sometimes.

I believe so because the loan officer provided me with my Experian FICO score without any hesitation. This CU had been using Equifax for the longest; I was surprised when they said they now pull from Experian.

Starting Score: 665
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 12 of 25
laz98
Senior Contributor

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking that if I ask I can get it. Sitting at the desk of a customer service rep at a local credit union,

"Do you pull Experian?".

"Yes we do."

"May I have the results of that pull?"

Why not?

I agree.  Why not?  Seems reasonable...

P.S.  I think laz98 thought you were looking for your Experian credit score with monthly updates, as offered by that PA credit union...

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 02-17-2010 07:13 AM

yep, i misunderstood...sorry about that!  i didn't realize he was just going to ask for his scores.  i thought he wanted regular access to them.

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LynetteM wrote:

My son got an auto loan through USAA. We had pulled his EQ that morning, knowing that it would be the one that was hit.

When he was approved, he asked what his score was, but the CSR apologized and said that he couldn't tell him.

It was explained to us once that the lenders have an agreement with the credit bureaus not to tell us our scores...that it's part of their agreement.

Technically this is correct.  Distributing a credit report or information/score from the CRA to the consumer can subject that CU/Bank to laws relative to credit reporting agencies and make them liable to those laws.

Message 14 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@laz98 wrote:

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm thinking that if I ask I can get it. Sitting at the desk of a customer service rep at a local credit union,

"Do you pull Experian?".

"Yes we do."

"May I have the results of that pull?"

Why not?

I agree.  Why not?  Seems reasonable...

P.S.  I think laz98 thought you were looking for your Experian credit score with monthly updates, as offered by that PA credit union...

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 02-17-2010 07:13 AM

yep, i misunderstood...sorry about that!  i didn't realize he was just going to ask for his scores.  i thought he wanted regular access to them.

Not a problem.

Yeah, I'm realigning IRA's and contribution modes and I'm switching banks and switching how I claim myself with the IRS. I've been doing a financial overhaul for two years and it's working. I'm looking at 730/750ish in less than 2 months with just a couple more strategic moves and I'll be going into the Credit Union (banks ain't gettin' the new me) with two of those scores but I intent to walk out with 3. LOL.

Message Edited by beenthere on 02-17-2010 06:49 PM
Message 15 of 25
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

If the CU guy is a by-the-book type, he could just leave that EX score on his desk somewhere, and then fetch you a complimentary cup of coffee...

You wouldn't sneak a peek...right?  hehehe

Message 16 of 25
geronimo2008
Regular Contributor

About 18 months ago I had the idea oof combining my two NFCU credit cards into one card with the combined limit.  When I contacted NFCU and asked whether they would run a credit inquiry, whether it would be hard or softa nd which CRA(s) they would use  i got the reply that they cannot share credit reports or sscores with members.

That reply did not actually answer any question I had asked them.  But it does show that some lenders do not share this info.

FWIW after going toa supervisior I fianlly found out that t ehy would not runa report at all.  this made the origianl answer even more curious.  but at least I got my answer.

Message 17 of 25
DI
Super Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

I don't think banks lecture  their employees to not disclose one's credit scores during orientation. 

Message 18 of 25
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, I would gently suggest that if it's part of the banks'/ lenders' agreement with the CRA, they might very well include this point in their orientation.

Maybe that's why they don't seem to train their CSR's on how credit actually works. They're too tied up explaining other silly stuff. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still wondering what kind of agreement this Credit Union in Pennsylvania was with the credit reporting agencies, especially if CRA's have policy that Credit Unions do not divulge. Must be a loop-hole in here some place.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.