Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining NFCU question

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Joining NFCU question

PLEASE PLEASE Do not rush this process.  I don't care what a rep says or what the website says.  The web gives conflicting information as do the NFCU reps.  I am not sure you can even join via the web as family member unless you have their NFCU member number so that should tell you something.  And to give you an idea how misinformed the reps are, they said my friend who had grandfather who was only a veteran of WWII made them eligible and they joined but luckily didn't app for credit card even though encouraged by NFCU rep to do so.

The ONLY Department who can tell your true eligbility is the NFCU Security Department.  The problem is by the time they get involved, they will freeze all your accounts and try to recover as much money as they can first.  At that point, they will also review your applications with a fine tooth comb and ANY inaccurate information will result in all accounts terminated regardless of eligibility.  Trust me there are horror stories out there of this happening.  NFCU Security Department approach things with a militiary police type attitude and that if you hit their radar for whatever reason, there must be something going on.

The fact is that your wife is eligible via her grandfather.  Be smart about it.  Take the time to get her grandmother to join.  Tell her it is like a club that her grandfather made her eligible or whatever.  I am sure her grandmother would be thrilled to help her granddaughter.  If you want to be extra careful, have her parents join too.  But in reality, her grandmother joining is enough.  Have your wife join using her grandmother's new NFCU member number.  Then you can join using your wife's NFCU member number..  I know this will take extra time, but NFCU is unique and why risk it?  If you do it this way, there will be no flags raised and you can proceed with your new relationship in confidence.  If you do it the other way, who knows what will happen in the future?  Can't find the paperwork as it is now lost and grandmother is dead.  GUILTY.  Taking a while to find the paperwork?  Interesting, what else are you hiding.  Etc.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 11 of 20
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I agree with crashem. 2 yrs ago when I joined I called and told them my brother was active military
And that I believe he is a member but not sure cause I haven't spoke with him in about a year due to his deployment over seas. Not a problem welcome to NFCU. I was a member for about a week then they froze my membership and had to speak with their security dept. They explained to me that simply being related to someone who is eligible but not a member doesn't make you eligible. I told them I believed he was an active member. They refused to check for me and gave me 2 weeks to come up with his access number. Luckily I was right and was able to get my brothers access number.
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 12 of 20
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

That's scary, I gave them all my dad's military info from my old military dependent card (rank, ssn, etc.) and was signed right up over the phone. I don't believe my dad is a member (He is with USAA and that is how I got into USAA). Should I be worried?

I did have to talk to the Security dept a few times but that was because my ID wasn't faxing clearly. They did have a hold and removed it once I emailed a security lady directly a photo of my id.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 20
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

NVM, I just re-read the website (in the blue link in the eligibility wizard) and it says family member who is a member or eligible for membership....whew! Smiley Happy

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 14 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

PLEASE PLEASE Do not rush this process.  I don't care what a rep says or what the website says.  The web gives conflicting information as do the NFCU reps.  I am not sure you can even join via the web as family member unless you have their NFCU member number so that should tell you something.  And to give you an idea how misinformed the reps are, they said my friend who had grandfather who was only a veteran of WWII made them eligible and they joined but luckily didn't app for credit card even though encouraged by NFCU rep to do so.

The ONLY Department who can tell your true eligbility is the NFCU Security Department.  The problem is by the time they get involved, they will freeze all your accounts and try to recover as much money as they can first.  At that point, they will also review your applications with a fine tooth comb and ANY inaccurate information will result in all accounts terminated regardless of eligibility.  Trust me there are horror stories out there of this happening.  NFCU Security Department approach things with a militiary police type attitude and that if you hit their radar for whatever reason, there must be something going on.

The fact is that your wife is eligible via her grandfather.  Be smart about it.  Take the time to get her grandmother to join.  Tell her it is like a club that her grandfather made her eligible or whatever.  I am sure her grandmother would be thrilled to help her granddaughter.  If you want to be extra careful, have her parents join too.  But in reality, her grandmother joining is enough.  Have your wife join using her grandmother's new NFCU member number.  Then you can join using your wife's NFCU member number..  I know this will take extra time, but NFCU is unique and why risk it?  If you do it this way, there will be no flags raised and you can proceed with your new relationship in confidence.  If you do it the other way, who knows what will happen in the future?  Can't find the paperwork as it is now lost and grandmother is dead.  GUILTY.  Taking a while to find the paperwork?  Interesting, what else are you hiding.  Etc.

I may just hold off on this:

I am not really keen on asking an 87 year old women to join a credit union that she clearly doesn't need to join. She has already helped us out plenty (helped with the downpayment on our house). I also don't want to give the impression that we are trying to 'use' her in any way, shape or form, especially given how it could look from the outside (other siblings) who really don't understand the reason why we were convincing her to join.

I just want to build a relationship with a credit union, but regardless of credit card limits, and great benefits, I'm not willing to try to sell this idea to her. I will likely just use a local one.

Thanks for the guidance!

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 15 of 20
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Scott,

I completely understand.  I will tell you though NFCU is actually worth it since it is so unique.  And in my experience grandparents love to be able to help especially when it should cost her nothing but the effort.  On the positive side, the entire family will benefit, not just your wife and yourself.  In any case, it is a personal choice as I have no idea about your family dynamics.  Good Luck!

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 16 of 20
beautybrainsbooty
Regular Contributor

I actually had to send a copy of my son's military id card before they would re-open my account but it is WELL worth it. I believe you can get in as long as someone in your family actually served or is currently serving. They have proven tremendously customer focused and driven. NFCU has some excellent products too!! best of luck!

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Message 17 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@Crashem wrote:

Scott,

I completely understand.  I will tell you though NFCU is actually worth it since it is so unique.  And in my experience grandparents love to be able to help especially when it should cost her nothing but the effort.  On the positive side, the entire family will benefit, not just your wife and yourself.  In any case, it is a personal choice as I have no idea about your family dynamics.  Good Luck!

I agree with this ^^ I would add that there is no harm in trying to apply for membership without her actually joining. You would have to have a copy.of her check stub from DOD. And probably copies of your and your parents' birth certificates to prove relationship. But again if you think it will cause familial discord; better to let sleeping dogs lie
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 18 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Scott,

I agree with this ^^ I would add that there is no harm in trying to apply for membership without her actually joining. You would have to have a copy.of her check stub from DOD. And probably copies of your and your parents' birth certificates to prove relationship. But again if you think it will cause familial discord; better to let sleeping dogs lie

Yeah -- I have put some time into thinking about this.. 

I am not worried about coming up with the documentation in a short time period.. I mean, we could fax it to the NFCU security group within hours if we needed to.. he retired from the Army in 1973 and her grandma 100 percent gets a pension from the DoD.. I also found out he was a civilian employee for the DoD for the last 25 years of his life.. I am not sure what factor that plays ,if he got a second pension or what, but after talking with grandma yesterday, she isn't uneasy with giving at least the informaiton needed.. he didn't push her about joining, since wifes uncle is a CPA, and handles all her finances, and don't really feeling like invovling that whole can of works just yet...

So I think I have have wifey ask grandma for the pension information, access number or what not... Then I will have her give them a call and apply, and we can go from there.. we didn't have any intention on applying for credit just yet, we just wanna build a savings/checking relationship with a CU..

I mean, grandma is still coherent and alivet, so its not like we are trying to defraud the system. Everything I have read indicates wifey is eligible as a granddaughter, and there are a myraid of ways to make that connection from pension to wife.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 19 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Agree! Good luck rckstrscott!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.