Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining NFCU question

tag
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Joining NFCU question

For those who joined previously; I just had an epiphany of monumental potential:

So; My wife's parents were here, talking about her (my wifes) grandfather. He retired from the Army in 1973, and recieved a DoD pension until he died, then of course her grandmother (who is still alive) recieves his pension..

This, I believe from what I have read, would make her eligible (as a granddaughter) for membership to NFCU?

Is this correct?

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Joining NFCU question

YES - It's not nearly as hard as some make it out to be, all you need is the Access number - basically that account number from grandma or whoever else in family already has one... and apply online and done.

Message 2 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

YES - It's not nearly as hard as some make it out to be, all you need is the Access number - basically that account number from grandma or whoever else in family already has one... and apply online and done.

Outstanding. This is great news! We decided to join a credit union last night, so I am glad the one I will be joining will be NFCU and not the local one here ha

-scott

Message 3 of 20
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Its not that simple. Grandma has to join first before your wife can join. There's lots of confusion lately on who is eligible and if you call a csr to ask I highly suggest calling again for a second opinion
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
Its not that simple. Grandma has to join first before your wife can join. There's lots of confusion lately on who is eligible and if you call a csr to ask I highly suggest calling again for a second opinion

From the eligibilty requirements, I didn't see it mentioned that the retired military member has to belong to NFCU, only that they recieve a DoD pension...

I will find out Monday and report back what they mention..

-scott

Message 5 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I agree that you likely have an "in"

Best to get copies of grandmas pension and file an application for you to join, be prepared to ask grandma to join too, because you may have to use her access number
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 6 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@webhopper wrote:
I agree that you likely have an "in"

Best to get copies of grandmas pension and file an application for you to join, be prepared to ask grandma to join too, because you may have to use her access number

Thanks! We will speak with NFCU on Monday and see what we need to do..

-scott

Message 7 of 20
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

They are open 24/7 call now lol I hope you can join
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 8 of 20
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@rootpooty wrote:
They are open 24/7 call now lol I hope you can join

haha unlike me and my 3rd shift, wifey doesn't keep 4am hours Smiley Wink

-scott

Message 9 of 20
Link2k
Valued Member

You may need the pension/retirement info but grandma does not have to join.  Their eligibility does not require her to join. If a rep says she has to you could argue with them or ask to speak with their supervisor but you are best off to call back and just get another rep who knows what they are doing or will ask their supervisor.

IME most phone reps are unaware family members don't have to join first and have to ask a supervisor before they start you up.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.