Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining PenFed/Other CU's?

tag
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

Joining PenFed/Other CU's?

So after finding out this morning that my car is totaled, I'm looking to join a credit union as I hear they offer better car loans. I'll need to buy another car sooner or later, so I might as well start a relationship with a CU now and hope for the best when the time to apply for the loan comes. Also, I've read that CU's can offer great credit cards too so maybe down the line I'll apply for one of their CC's.

The one I was looking at was PenFed since my aunt joined them and it seems like she has great credit cards with them and got a great deal on a car loan. However, I'm not sure how it would work when it comes to me joining. She's a former government employee, so I would fall under the "I am a relative or housemate of someone who is eligible," condition. However, my mom joined too (by being a relative of my aunt), so my question is: when I join would I have to use my aunt since she's the eligible one or could I use my mom since she's a member as well?

I also read great things about DCU, what would be their requirements to join?

Does anyone recommend any other CU (unfortunately I'm not eligible for NFCU or USAA, at least I don't think I am)?

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Scores: EX: 725 | TU:742
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Joining PenFed/Other CU's?

Many CU's have the ability to contribute $20-25 bucks to an affiliated charitable institution and gain membership via that route.  Both Penfed and DCU have that option.

        
Message 2 of 10
user5387
Valued Contributor

There are a great many CUs open to anyone, including DCU and Penfed.  DepositAccounts.com maintains a current list of such CUs.

Penfed is very conservative, and I don't recommend them unless you have very high scores, a good income, and so on.  Since there are many CUs to choose from, there's no need to focus on only one or two.

Message 3 of 10
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Apinzon2374 wrote:

So after finding out this morning that my car is totaled, I'm looking to join a credit union as I hear they offer better car loans. I'll need to buy another car sooner or later, so I might as well start a relationship with a CU now and hope for the best when the time to apply for the loan comes. Also, I've read that CU's can offer great credit cards too so maybe down the line I'll apply for one of their CC's.

The one I was looking at was PenFed since my aunt joined them and it seems like she has great credit cards with them and got a great deal on a car loan. However, I'm not sure how it would work when it comes to me joining. She's a former government employee, so I would fall under the "I am a relative or housemate of someone who is eligible," condition. However, my mom joined too (by being a relative of my aunt), so my question is: when I join would I have to use my aunt since she's the eligible one or could I use my mom since she's a member as well?

Does anyone recommend any other CU (unfortunately I'm not eligible for NFCU or USAA, at least I don't think I am)?

Three letters, D.C.U!

I just joined a few days ago, and they made it so easy. $10 donation and $5 minimum to a checking account and you're in. They HP EQ and have car loans as low as 1.99% New or used, general consensus says 670 is all you need to qualify for the best rates.

Message 4 of 10
Longroad
Established Contributor

So which CU's are not so conservative and that you would recommend if you are in the rebuilding phase?

Message 5 of 10
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

Good points, the only reason Penfed came to mind was because my aunt is with them so I already heard about them, but if I find something better or more suited to my needs then I'll definitely join a different CU.

Capital One Quicksilver | Chase Freedom | Chase Sapphire | AMEX Blue Cash Everyday
Message 6 of 10
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@Apinzon2374 wrote:

Three letters, D.C.U!

I just joined a few days ago, and they made it so easy. $10 donation and $5 minimum to a checking account and you're in. They HP EQ and have car loans as low as 1.99% New or used, general consensus says 670 is all you need to qualify for the best rates.

Is there any monthly fees to have a checking account with them? Is it the same as a "Regular Share," account? I have a checking account with Chase but I don't know if I want two checking accounts (unless regular share and checking are the same then I don't mind).

Message 7 of 10
user5387
Valued Contributor

@Longroad wrote:

So which CU's are not so conservative and that you would recommend if you are in the rebuilding phase?

My first recommendation would be to see if you can find a local CU, where you take your credit report in and show it to a loan officer, and ask them what they can do for you in terms of credit cards, balance transfers, refinancing loans, and so on.

If this is not possible, then you could research some of the national CUs, using the various threads on this forum and Google and so on.  If you are rebuilding, then I would exclude some of the conservative ones like Penfed, and try to find ones that will support you.

Message 8 of 10
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Apinzon2374 wrote:

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

@Apinzon2374 wrote:

Three letters, D.C.U!

Is there any monthly fees to have a checking account with them? Is it the same as a "Regular Share," account? I have a checking account with Chase but I don't know if I want two checking accounts (unless regular share and checking are the same then I don't mind).

No fee, and a bonus! If you get a credit product (or loan) or direct deposit with your checking account you get a monthly free EQ fico score.

Message 9 of 10
Apinzon2374
Regular Contributor

That is a great bonus! I'll have to see what my insurance company does next but DCU does seem like a great option. I've read many great things about them so if I join them hopefully I'll have the same luck.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.