Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining a Credit Union

tag
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Joining a Credit Union

I currently have BOA and was planning on closing my account and going with a credit union but not sure which one is good.

I use to belong to VEFCU https://www.vonsefcu.org/ but after not using it for a while was closed down in 2004.

I don't mind going back to VEFCU but IM sure there going to HP CR if that's the case might as well shop around.

Found this so far http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/

Any recommendation ?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
rtw
Established Contributor

Re: Joining a Credit Union

If you are in PA and eligible PSECU is great. I've heard great things about PenFed although they are very conservative.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 2 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

DeadSpider,

Sounds like you need a bank replacement solution.  I think Alliant has good bank replacement product.  I believe they participate in the shared branch network where you can go into participating CUs and bank there.  If you do most of your banking remotely (ie via phone/internet), lots of good national CUs such as Alliant that work well.  Their policies on check clearing and lack of fees is great.  Just make sure anyone you are considering has good ATM policies (in a lot of ATM networks or foreign ATM rebate policy), participate in shared branch CU, and hopefully have the remote check deposit via internet/mobile phone where you can deposit check by taking a picture of it.

Other option that looks interesting is US Bank.  I just opened an account with them to take advantage of their bonus to CASH+ card.  Looks like fees around gold package are waived if you have auto pay connected to one of their credit cards.  You could get CASH+ card which is great and the gold package.  However, as a warning, US Bank hard pulled my credit sometime during the join process even though banker said they only soft pulled when I asked specifically about it.  However, the problem with big banks is that their fee policies can change at any time.  While a CU is unlikely to implement fees in the future.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 7
codimom
Frequent Contributor

I am an alliant member and I love them! 
(edited because I hit the wrong button)
Alliant is aligned with other CU branches.. here in my area I can either drive out to their location, go to PSECU or even Bellco.  They have a spot on their website where you can find fee free ATMs, but that also lists banks and CUs that you can use for ATM or accepting deposits.  That is helpful because I tend to do cash deposits with them and I dont' like to do cash deposits via ATM or mail Smiley Happy

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 4 of 7
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I also would recommend PSECU if your from PA.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 7
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

Seems like you can deposit at most 7-11 store.

Im not from PA no for PSECU.

Im from area 51... can you guess ?

Message 6 of 7
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

If you're looking for an easy to deal with CU that's easy to join nationwide you should look into www.myconsumers.org and they're offering 3% APY on checking right now and it's $5 membership to thier co-op and $5 membership share (savings).

• 3.09% APY* for deposits up to $5,000.00 for Members meeting the qualification requirements
  • 0.20% APY* for balances between $5,000.01 and $25,000.00 for Members meeting the qualification requirements
  • 0.10% APY* for balances in excess of $25,000.00 for Members meeting the qualification requirements
  • 0.01% APY* for Member who do not meet the qualification requirements

Otherwise here's a good link to comparing rates for both banks and CU's.

http://www.depositaccounts.com/checking/reward-checking-accounts.html

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.