Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining the NFCU club soon!!

tag
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

Joining the NFCU club soon!!

My brother in law came to visit us this week. He's making his way from Alaska to Alabama for new orders. He's in the AirForce. I talked to him a bit about CU's and which one's he's a member of, and explained to him the amazing opportunity it would create for my wife and I to join through him. He is already a member of USAA, and said he will also join NFCU as well.

As far as joining USAA and NFCU, since he is active military. He is full member and my wife can join through him and then I can join through her correct? Can we become full members of both USAA and NFCU if we want to or just NFCU? We both are getting our credit back on track, and have taken care of all our past irresponsibility and have become perfect the past ~2.5-3yrs. Both have mediocre 600's scores and good jobs. I've heard all the amazing success stories from people and joining NFCU, but I'm not going to get my hopes up just yet. I know not everyone is approved and not everyone gets HUGE CL's. We are looking at getting some "prime" cards with those limits again however and think joining NFCU could jumpstart us to that point.

*We both had issues from several years ago, but no BK's and no unpaid CO's. Just waiting for everything to fall off now. What are you all's thoughts on this?

Thanks,

John

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Joining the NFCU club soon!!

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!   You should be able  2  get  full memberships  i did it  the same way  and  just  join NFCU  and USAA  with  full benefits of the memberships   good luck  to you  guys Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!   You should be able  2  get  full memberships  i did it  the same way  and  just  join NFCU  and USAA  with  full benefits of the memberships   good luck  to you  guys Smiley Happy

I think this is incorrect. Op and this poster is right about nfcu.  To op, make sure to get brother in law's nfcu member number and have wife join via his member number.  You should join via your wife's member number.  As for usaa, I do not believe you are eligible.  Usaa full membership is open to active duty/veterans.  Spouses, former spouses, and children can join.  However I don't think full membership open to other family members.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 9
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think this is incorrect. Op and this poster is right about nfcu.  To op, make sure to get brother in law's nfcu member number and have wife join via his member number.  You should join via your wife's member number.  As for usaa, I do not believe you are eligible.  Usaa full membership is open to active duty/veterans.  Spouses, former spouses, and children can join.  However I don't think full membership open to other family members.  Please correct me if I am wrong.

This is what I was thinking as well...we can join NFCU through him but cannot join USAA.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 4 of 9
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!!! In my opinion nfcu is awesome Smiley Happy
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

im sorry  if  you guys dint think that  my  answers  was not correct  but  i just  join both of them   just  the way  it was explain on the question  in my case  my borther  in law is active military he was visiting for a few weeks  so we decide it to ask him if  he would mind  he say  that he was ok with it  so  we went to NCFU branch he open and account then  we open  ours after  he did hes  in the same day  with hes NCFU customer number    now   USAA  he was already banking with them  credit cards insurance mortage and more  stuff  so  first he add us  to hes account  and the way  we where given  usaa members numbers than after  we call it in and talk to a very nice lady  then we told her our situation and since we already  had our usaa members number  she  immediately  start the process at the end  we  open up a cheking account  and where approved for wolrd mastercard  that they offer with 2300  credit limit  so thats how it happen to us  no i understand that every person situation is very diferent so   there  guys lol  thats how it happen   hope it helps  Smiley Happy  

Message 6 of 9
Middleswarth
Frequent Contributor

Anyone can get checking and CC with USAA.  Question is can you get insurance?

I checked into it before and there was no way I could even get my brother in (as a full member).  You either need to be or have been military or the spouse or child of an active member.

Message 7 of 9
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

I believe you are right about the membership at USAA, I'm a full member there (car ins) but only bc I joined through my dad. They are stricter with the full membership than NFCU.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

i believe you and your wife can become full members if your inlaw carries insurance with usaa.  thats what i was told that im eligible for full membership cause my brother carries insurance through them.  if you are building/rebuilding i would do the nfcu route.  you will get better results

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.