Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Account Card

tag
PSouz
Contributor

Re: Joint Account Card

Plus if you got an amex and added him as an au, when he has good enough credit to get his own amex it will back date and help his AAoA

Amex BCE $14k (backdated to 1/11), Chase Freedom $500 (11/2012)
Discover It Student $3k (3/13), Citi Dividend Platinum Visa $3k (3/13)
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa $3.5k (3/13)
Starting Score 3/20/13 - TransUnion FICO 758 - Goal Score 800
Message 11 of 35
distantarray
Established Contributor

Surprised no one mentioned Macy's.

Macy's card apply IN PERSON at the store, both of you must be present.

Fill in the app with your information on top (primary) and his on bottom (secondary)

only YOU will get a credit pull, they will not even CHECK his credit if your score is above 720.

This will result in a better limit for you and him as a joint account than many other card companies, and it also creates 2 accounts at once if your score is above 720.

Instore account + Amex account for you both. Buy something at the store, it'll credit Macy's store. If you use the card outside it'll go towards Amex account.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 12 of 35
PSouz
Contributor

Considering that sounds like it would start his relationship with amex for a backdated, the Macy's card sounds like a great idea

Message 13 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@PSouz wrote:
Plus if you got an amex and added him as an au, when he has good enough credit to get his own amex it will back date and help his AAoA

That is no longer correct.  AMEX doesn't backdate a new individual account to the date they previously became an AU (or "ACM" Additional Card Member) unless it's done by mistake which is rare.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 14 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

If you are eligible, get a membership with NFCU (through family usually), they offer joint accounts as wells as generous CLs and terms.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 15 of 35
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@PSouz wrote:
Considering that sounds like it would start his relationship with amex for a backdated, the Macy's card sounds like a great idea

Macy's American Express is backed by Citi, it is not an American Express Bank Credit Card.  Also you may only get the store card as they are actually 2 different credit lines.

But yes something like the Gold charge card from american express is a good choice to help an AU and free for a year.

Message 16 of 35
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

Thanks all for the info.......a few replies:

Re: Discover limit, I applied last year with only $3000 student loan open in addition to low util on cap1 and chase....they gave me a CL of $6.3K......I've used heavily and paid heavily and they've raise my limits 4 times, the last being the only one requested.

Re: Macy's card....I'm not sure I understand how this works; its an amex but also a store card?

Re: NFCU, I'm not currently eligible for membership

Re: AMEX AU.....so they do or do not backdate for an AU when they open their own account?

Thanks
Message 17 of 35
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

Re: AMEX charge card....I'll probably be opening one of these up but only for a year, don't want to pay AF....plan to app for a revolver at that point.

If he's added as AU on the charge and its closed in a year, will that TL stay on his report after its closed?
Message 18 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@fittiger wrote:
Re: AMEX charge card....I'll probably be opening one of these up but only for a year, don't want to pay AF....plan to app for a revolver at that point.

If he's added as AU on the charge and its closed in a year, will that TL stay on his report after its closed?

As long as he's not removed from the account, if he's listed as an ACM, it will report for at least 10 years (99% of the time, barring any reporting glitches that AMEX sometimes has).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 19 of 35
PSouz
Contributor

I'm sorry, I'm confused, I was under the impression, that an au account would start their relationship ship with amex and then when they get there own card it would back date to when they got their au card.

For example, my girlfriend just got on my bce as a au, I was hoping, when she got her own amex maybe march of 2014 that it would backdate to 3/13 to the
date she got her au, not the date my membership is, which is January 2011, am I wrong?

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.