Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Account Card

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Joint Account Card

@distantarray wrote:

JUST recieved my brother's card for last Friday. It was backdated to his AU date. He wanted a hotel card for Ultra music festival and wanted to stay in Starwood.

Is that his individual account or under you as an ACM?  There's your answer. 

And yes, if it's his own, it could have been one of those happy accidents (they happen, it's just rare as I mentioned).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 31 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@fittiger wrote:
Thanks all for the info.......a few replies:

Re: Discover limit, I applied last year with only $3000 student loan open in addition to low util on cap1 and chase....they gave me a CL of $6.3K......I've used heavily and paid heavily and they've raise my limits 4 times, the last being the only one requested.

Re: Macy's card....I'm not sure I understand how this works; its an amex but also a store card?

Re: NFCU, I'm not currently eligible for membership

Re: AMEX AU.....so they do or do not backdate for an AU when they open their own account?

Thanks

Re:  Macy's card....I'm not sure I understand how this works; its an amex but also a store card?

The Macy's card is not bank backed by AMEX (Centurian Bank).  It's backed and issued by Department Stores National Bank out of Sioux Falls South Dakota. So  it would not qualify for back dating regardless.  Only cards you can apply for through AMEX (on their website) qualify for that.

Re: AMEX AU.....so they do or do not backdate for an AU when they open their own account?

They don't backdate  new individual accounts to that person's  AUs\ACMs join date at all anymore.  Only an individuals original membership date (no matter when if it's found). That changed happened in November of 2011.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 32 of 35
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

JUST recieved my brother's card for last Friday. It was backdated to his AU date. He wanted a hotel card for Ultra music festival and wanted to stay in Starwood.

And yes, if it's his own, it could have been one of those happy accidents (they happen, it's just rare as I mentioned).

Individual still backdated fine. Also go talk to Amex are like Chase reps, half of them don't know **bleep** they're talking about. Multiple reps, can product multiple different results.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 33 of 35
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@PSouz wrote:
I'm not positive this would work with the credit cards you have, but I recently added my girlfriend to my amex bce card and was told that it will report to the agency's so she will start to gain credit, she has none right now, so if you didn't want to do a secure credit card you could probably add them as a au to one of your accounts

Or maybe you could do that and a secure credit card if you wanted, a secure credit card from USAA doesn't report as a secure credit card, because you put the money in a cd, so if you can get a USAA account you may want to look into that

I recommend going the Authorized User route over and above the Joint Account. 

Authorized Users on American Express have the account reported to their credit, and they lock in a member since date from their first year of becoming an AU, which is nice. 

Also, you have the ability to set Spending Limits which are reasonable for each of the Authorized Users on your American Express account. This can limit your exposure in case you want to start with a smaller spending limit for your partner and increase it over time.

American Express is a nice company to use, with good customer service, and is definately considered "Prime"

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 34 of 35
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

Individual still backdated fine. Also go talk to Amex are like Chase reps, half of them don't know **bleep** they're talking about. Multiple reps, can product multiple different results.

Now THAT I can agree with LOL  and is often how the ('against the new rules") backdating happens. 

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.