Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint Account Holder

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint Account Holder

Will updating an Authorized User to a Joint Account holder cause Discover to pull a hard inquiry on the individual being updated to joint account holder status? Any advice is appreciated . Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Strepthroat
Frequent Contributor

Re: Joint Account Holder

I beleive it will as a joint.  This is off topic a little, but I know for AMEX now, they want the Social Security number even for authorized users.  I rec'd a letter in the mail requesting SS# for my additional user.  I haven't responded and so far my authorized user is still able to use the card.  But for a joint, I can almost guarantee Discover or any other creditor will ask for the SS#.

Chase Marriott Visa $25,000 | Chase Southwest Visa $25,000 | PFCU Visa $20,000 | Capital One Savor $20,000 | Nordstrom Visa $20,000 | GUCU Visa $10,500 | CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa $10,000 | US Bank Perks Visa $9,000 | Barclays Cash Forward Visa $6,000 | BB&T Spectrum Cash Visa $3,500
Message 2 of 8
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Just call and ask.  And ask 3 times, just to be sure.

(If I was the lender, though, I wouldn't even bother checking credit.  I'd just figure "Well, there's one more individual to go after if this existing account goes bad").  Yay!

Message 3 of 8
JMN
Frequent Contributor

Adding someone as a Joint holder on an account will definitely require a credit check.

Any major bank requires this. They're being given FULL access to the account - they need to be verified through a standard credit check.

Despite my employment in the banking industry, any and all views contained in this post are purely my own, and do not represent any financial institution, nor constitute as financial or investment guidance or advise.
Message 4 of 8
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Please note that I expressed a hypothetical, "If I was the lender...".

Just call Discover and ask.  They will let you know for sure, one way or the other.

As the primary on any account, you are held responsible for all of the charges, whether the other user is joint or AU.  In case of default, the AU walks, but a joint account holder has equal responsibility for repaying that debt.

Just to clarify:  I might do a credit check to make sure I had all available info for the AU-> joint, just for future collections info.  But the joint status would be approved, for the reasons mentioned above.  Hope I didn't misunderstand the question.

Message 5 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

In all my experience with being added as a joint NO credit was pulled.  Further more when requesting CLI except for Toyota Visa me as secondary joint holder I have never had my credit pulled, Macy's, Dillards Amex, US Bank... just primary was pulled if they pulled at all.

Now if you go the other way and try to remove Joint, many banks don't even do it anymore but Chase will but it will be a hard for whoever wants to keep the account and they will close it while they decide.

Message 6 of 8
timkrof
Contributor

Approx. 3 months ago my fiance added me as a joint account holder to a Discover More and Chase Slate card.  I had to fill out a joint application with my SSN for both cards.  I was added successfully as a joint account holder to both cards with NO inquiries showing up on my CRs.

Message 7 of 8
tcbofade
Super Contributor

As mentioned above, you'll need to call Discover and ask them.

My wife and I have added eachother on to various accounts with different banks...some pulled cr's, some did not.

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.