Judged for using credit?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Judged for using credit?

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:
It's against federal law to charge more for use of credit card. 

Hardly.   It's against 10 or so state laws, but allowed everywhere else.  The 2013 settlement allowed (subject to certain provisions) merchants to charge more for cc use.

Now in the states that allow it, there still hasn't been a lot of it because of competition (if I charge, and my competitor doesn't, unless I have some unique value proposition, the cc side of the biz goes there)

The 10 states include big ones though!

Hmm Which ones? 

From https://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/surcharging-faq-by-merchants.pdf

10 U.S. states have surcharging restrictions including California, Colorado, Connecticut,
Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas.

Message 61 of 85
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

I work at a company that services financial institutions, mostly credit unions but banks as well. I see credit card statements all day, everyday, and to judge that someone using a credit card is in debt is (in my experience) not a far off assumption. The vast majority of the accounts that I pull up the people are not only in debt, they are barely making the minimums, and immediately charging it back up. We were looking at a statement the other day for training purposes and the cardholder's interest to date was close to $600. 

A few years back when I worked in credit cards for USAA I would say it was an almost even ratio of people in debt vs those who pay off. One thing that was pretty consistent across the board:

If the member was older or retired they were usually a PIF'er.

If they were younger/middle aged they were in debt. 

Of course there are always exceptions... I spoke with a judge once that I tried my darnest to get his credit line increased. He was grandfathered in from years ago and had 50k credit line, which was maxed. He was needing his credit extended to pay his taxes. I spoke with three underwriters on his behalf, it was a no go.

Another young man I talked to was so paranoid about how having a credit card affected his credit that he would use the card and pay it off as soon as it posted. But like I said... these guys were the exceptions to the general rule, imo. 

And yes, I do believe a few of my friends think I am in debt, lol. I don't blame them! If I see people using credit cards I often wonder how much debt they are in as well. 

And another thing, which some here say doesn't apply to them, but...!  Some studies have shown that reward credit cards cause people to spend more.  This is perhaps partly because it causes things to seem cheaper ("I only wanted to spend $80, and this is $100, but I will get points!") or spend towards a goal "If I get 4000 more points I will be able to get that UA ticket.  How can I get those points?" or maxing out a quarter category to get the most benefit (Need to get that $1,500 spend on Freedom by the end of Sep!"   So this is a potential debt-enabling feature of credit cards.

Now everyone can say "Not me, I only buy what I was going to any way" and I will silently disbelieve!

I honestly don't do it often but if I do it's at most only about 10-15% more then what I expected to pay. I usually have a Budget and I stick to it.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 62 of 85
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@taxi818 wrote:
It's against federal law to charge more for use of credit card. 

Hardly.   It's against 10 or so state laws, but allowed everywhere else.  The 2013 settlement allowed (subject to certain provisions) merchants to charge more for cc use.

Now in the states that allow it, there still hasn't been a lot of it because of competition (if I charge, and my competitor doesn't, unless I have some unique value proposition, the cc side of the biz goes there)

The 10 states include big ones though!

Hmm Which ones? 

From https://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/surcharging-faq-by-merchants.pdf

10 U.S. states have surcharging restrictions including California, Colorado, Connecticut,
Florida, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Oklahoma and Texas.

Ah Thanks... Since living in NY and travel to Boston and CT at times good to now know to look out for it though never seen it other then like forcing a min charge to use them 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 63 of 85
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone here ever been judged for using credit cards to pay for everything?

For example, I have one friend who thought that I was deeply in debt because I was maximizing points by using different credit cards depending upon the merchant. One time she remarked, "If you need any money, don't be afraid to ask me to help you out. I always see you paying with different credit cards, so I assume that they're maxed out. It's okay to admit that you're in debt." I was taken aback, I politely declined her help, and I explained to her that I just prefer to use credit cards over cash or a debit card. She replied, "Well, a debit card is good enough for me. I don't want to get into debt."

Another example: I went into Peet's Coffee during a trip to California, and I paid for my drink with, of course, a credit card. The cashier said to me, "Don't you carry cash? That's not a good idea." Why did she feel the need to say this? I mean, I'm still paying for my drink, albeit the merchant is losing a few cents due to swipe fees.

Does anyone out there have any similar experiences? I would love to hear them!

I doubt many on this forum will agree with my comments, but I'll make them anyway.

Having owned businesses for over 20 years and having worked in the retail/wholesale and distribution trde for twice that long, I would never consider paying for anything under $10 with a credit card. A merchant, especially a smaller merchant pays a lot more than "a few cents" in swipe fees, most small merchants pay either a minimum swipe fee or a per sale plus percentage fee (say 30 cents Plus 2.75%). MasterCard/Visa/AmEx and Discover are fighting and settling years of lawsuits over swipe fees, google search the "value" of swipe fees, it's a massive aount of money and now that "rewards cards" are all the rage, the merchant pays a higher rate for cash back or reward swipes.

I've had fellow employees say "I don't care if I buy a 75 cent muffin with my credit card, swipe fees are not my problem" and I personally find that attitude very selface, but the bigger truth is that we all pay higher prices for just about everything we buy because of those  "few cents of swipe fees".

I no longer own a business and I'm no longer in the/any trade that takes or processes credit cards (merchant account, swipe fees, etc), but I still would never charge anything under $10 because I understand that a small merchant might as well give you for free that 75 cent muffin because it will usually cost him more to SELL it to you when you use a credit card.

If you think that this is all hype, ask any active ebay seller what his biggest cost is and he/she will tell you that between eBay fees and PayPal fees - that cost them close to 20% of every sale - then ask them what their gross profit margin is and I think you'll see that very few of the small to medium sellers are actually making a living.

Do I judge the guy in line that "charges" everything especially small item purchases, - YUP and I'll let you assume what I think of them.

If any business is paying more then a few cents per dollar at this point they are fools. I'm sorry but there are plenty of very cheap ways to process credit cards. I'll keep paying with my cards no matter how small the amount. 

Message 64 of 85
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:
At the most in can. Fees are 5%. Which is ripping off driver. From cab company. However. If you gave me 20% tip. I still get. 15. And that other 5 percent in the back end come tax time.

I actually own a few taxis and the company we are affiliated with charges drivers 10% and it's a violation of the contract to use anything like Square. If you pay a set fee it can be lowered to 3% for 12 months. It's ridiculous and i can tell you right now that many drivers either push customers to pay cash or use Square anyways. "Do you need to stop at an atm?"... Personally, while cash is obviously preferred, I'll gladly take your card. Then again my average tips when I drive are just over 30% so I don't mind paying a few cents on the dollar.

Message 65 of 85
lonelyisland
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like a few responders thought the post was actually made TO judge people for credit card usage.  Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

At work, they sometimes giggle about the # of cards I carry, but they get that I use CCs as debit cards, and no one says much else. 

They also joke about me having a mattress of money, but most of them are young, single guys with single income households. 

Most of my family uses CCs and PIFs, I am sorta the last one to come around to how this all works :-/ Late bloomer. 

I myself, do have a few things on my cards that are a balance -mostly new furniture we bought, and plan to PIF before the 0% APR is up.

While if needed, I could pay the amount in full, I would rather keep that $$ in savings, and make a few pennies on it.

Message 66 of 85
taxi818
Super Contributor

Longtime lurker wrote:And another thing, which some here say doesn't apply to them, but...! Some studies have shown that reward credit cards cause people to spend more. This is perhaps partly because it causes things to seem cheaper ("I only wanted to spend $80, and this is $100, but I will get points!") or spend towards a goal "If I get 4000 more points I will be able to get that UA ticket. How can I get those points?" or maxing out a quarter category to get the most benefit (Need to get that $1,500 spend on Freedom by the end of Sep!" So this is a potential debt-enabling feature of credit cards.

well it's no problem for me to reach 1500 gas limit. Taxi driver. Hehehe. I use that in a month. Not a quarter. So I want my 5%  75 bucks.  Not. Me.  I only buy what I was going to buy anyway. 

So you don't believe it huh.  16 k spent 2013 on gas. Notw the other categories. No chance to max rewards. Back to quicksilver for simple 1.5% cash. 

Message 67 of 85
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

Longtime lurker wrote:And another thing, which some here say doesn't apply to them, but...! Some studies have shown that reward credit cards cause people to spend more. This is perhaps partly because it causes things to seem cheaper ("I only wanted to spend $80, and this is $100, but I will get points!") or spend towards a goal "If I get 4000 more points I will be able to get that UA ticket. How can I get those points?" or maxing out a quarter category to get the most benefit (Need to get that $1,500 spend on Freedom by the end of Sep!" So this is a potential debt-enabling feature of credit cards.

well it's no problem for me to reach 1500 gas limit. Taxi driver. Hehehe. I use that in a month. Not a quarter. So I want my 5%  75 bucks.  Not. Me.  I only buy what I was going to buy anyway. 

So you don't believe it huh.  16 k spent 2013 on gas. Notw the other categories. No chance to max rewards. Back to quicksilver for simple 1.5% cash. 

Oh, my disbelief is at a generic level, individuals might not overspend.   But even the quicksilver makes things 1.5% cheaper, which might be enough to add spending for some.

Message 68 of 85
taxi818
Super Contributor

I think they defeat purpose if they are doing that. Goodness. But you are or we're looking at stat sheets. I hope the majority are not in that kind of gloom and doom debt you mention. 

I read most Americans are getting good at this  credit thing. Said 50 million have score over 700. Hmmm  but did not mention their that. One stat I saw said average person in. MY zip code. Is 83k in the hole. I said no way and I owe less then 1 k. Which is around 6 percent util. Otherwise I would just pay off but 0 percent 14 months. I think it's helping my score I could be wrong. 

Message 69 of 85
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@taxi818 wrote:

I think they defeat purpose if they are doing that. Goodness. But you are or we're looking at stat sheets. I hope the majority are not in that kind of gloom and doom debt you mention. 

I read most Americans are getting good at this  credit thing. Said 50 million have score over 700. Hmmm  but did not mention their that. One stat I saw said average person in. MY zip code. Is 83k in the hole. I said no way and I owe less then 1 k. Which is around 6 percent util. Otherwise I would just pay off but 0 percent 14 months. I think it's helping my score I could be wrong. 

I think the majority of people that are in debt are in cc debt it may be mortgages or student loans  i don't know where they come up with the numbers though. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 70 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.