Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judged for using credit?

tag
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

Re: Judged for using credit?

I actually feel like I used to get judged by my closest friends for using a debit card because none of them do. My best friend is a surgeon and his boyfriend is a lawyer and they are all about the travel rewards game. He told me the other day that they have about 500,000 miles. Goodness! They got me into this whole thing so I always felt lowly using my Chase debit card around them. I haven't been to see them since acquiring all of my credit but I can't wait to go out to dinner and pull out my CSP!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 71 of 85
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone here ever been judged for using credit cards to pay for everything?

For example, I have one friend who thought that I was deeply in debt because I was maximizing points by using different credit cards depending upon the merchant. One time she remarked, "If you need any money, don't be afraid to ask me to help you out. I always see you paying with different credit cards, so I assume that they're maxed out. It's okay to admit that you're in debt." I was taken aback, I politely declined her help, and I explained to her that I just prefer to use credit cards over cash or a debit card. She replied, "Well, a debit card is good enough for me. I don't want to get into debt."

Another example: I went into Peet's Coffee during a trip to California, and I paid for my drink with, of course, a credit card. The cashier said to me, "Don't you carry cash? That's not a good idea." Why did she feel the need to say this? I mean, I'm still paying for my drink, albeit the merchant is losing a few cents due to swipe fees.

Does anyone out there have any similar experiences? I would love to hear them!

Your friend clearly doesn't understand the benefit of using credit cards.  I would have flipped the conversation back and said "well, if you don't know how to use credit to gain benefits without debt, I'd be happy to show you"

As for the Peet's coffee experience, that's oddly judgemental.   I'm not sure where exactly in CA you were, but I see card transactions are the norm here, even for small purchases.  I know a lot of people who don't carry cash or just don't want to deal with change.   I usually only carry cash for tips or for places that don't accept CCs.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 72 of 85
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Yes, my friends think I am crazy and do not understand why at 21 I have CC's hahaha. 

But hey, I get to travel for free every year and business/first class. If I get looks for that, they can keep on looking while I sip on my drink Smiley Very Happy

Message 73 of 85
flawesome
Contributor

My parents went into immediate panic mode when I told them I have 5 credit cards. A rather light load around these parts. After explanation they settled down.

I have a friend who will probably never apply for a credit card and despises them. I want to tell her I how many I have when I get a few more. Can't wait for that reaction xD

| BoA BBR 5k | Discover it 1k | freedom 2.2k | Fidelity AMEX 1.5k | Sallie Mae 1k | AARP 2.2k | BJ's PPlus 3.7k |
Message 74 of 85
taxi818
Super Contributor

Hehehe. Truly a light load. I got 11. My friends are shocked. 1 friend said if you need a loan let me know. **bleep**.
Message 75 of 85
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@flawesome wrote:

My parents went into immediate panic mode when I told them I have 5 credit cards. A rather light load around these parts. After explanation they settled down.

I have a friend who will probably never apply for a credit card and despises them. I want to tell her I how many I have when I get a few more. Can't wait for that reaction xD

My mother thinks I am crazy for having 5 let alone about 10 more she doesn't know I own Smiley Tongue

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 76 of 85
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

As long as you are responsible CCs are great!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 77 of 85
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

My parents actually offered to "help" me out if I needed it.  I paid for my fathers birthday dinner with my Arrival card (2x Points on Dining!?) it was about $130, not bad for steak dinners for 4 of us.  After dinner my mom said I didn't need to put dinner on my credit card if I couldnt afford it.  I said "what" she responded by giving me a lecture about getting into credit card debt.  I'm 31 and learned my lesson about debt a few years ago (filed BK7).  I explained to her that I have a little over 30K in available credit and currently have used around 8% most of which is on 0% cards until next year.  I explained to her how it was addicting to get the cashback rewards and watch points add up.  I also explained to her that my Arrival has a limit of 8K and dinner was the only thing on it, and that I'd be going home to "transfer" the money from checking to my credit card.  I now think she gets it but seems like its to much work and far to risky.  I guess I understand if she thinks I'm just going crazy spending money I dont have but thats far from reality now days. 

When I was young I was stupid with credit cards, I have no problem admitting that now though, its actually sort of a hobby to manage them and keep track of rewards earning as well as monthly spending. 

Message 78 of 85
Callandra
Valued Contributor

I don't care what anyone thinks of me. Smiley Happy

They can judge all they want; I'm the one getting cash back. Smiley Very Happy

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 79 of 85
DFStudent
Valued Member

I've also been judged for using credit by a lot of friends and even sometimes family. Even though I could technically use my debit card, why would I? If I can get paid for buying something that I was already going to purchase, might as well use CCs. The only thing I use debit is for ATM cash withdrawl.

I am 22, and I bet you a lot of people would assume that I am in debt due to the number of cards I have and due to my age (recently graduated from college). But I have no debt whatsoever, no student loans, etc. It's all about being reasonable and responsible with your money. 

It is also about wants vs. needs. Many people put their wants on a CC and say "oh, I'll worry about it later." This is what gets people in trouble. Spending money that doesn't exist. They would rather pay the interest to get instant gratification of owning something right now.

Credit management (heck, finances in general) should be a class taught in high school. That is something that's important to life!

I'm also glad I got started early on the credit game because I am setting myself up for a good future regarding auto and home loans! Credit is life!

$12,400              $20,000           $10,000             $6,000               $4,700               $5,800            $1,050 (AU)
Suncoast CU VISA - $2500, BOA BBR VISA - $1000 || EX - 778 (12/13), EQ - 764 (12/13), TU - 763 (12/13) || Grad Student
Message 80 of 85
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.