Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jumping in to the Credit Fray after a Bankruptcy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jumping in to the Credit Fray after a Bankruptcy

Noob here. Just looking for some tips to of course, get my score higher. Almost 3 years ago I filed for bankruptcy. At the time my score was a dim lower 500's. 18 Months ago I was able to buy a Brand new Car...interest rate is a very high 18%. I have not been late on both my car notes and I just paid off one of the cars. 

Right now my Score is 600 on the dot. After reading some post here, I decided apply for a Cap One (using the finder took) I was approved for a $300 limit. I'm so happy about it. I wanted to add a line of credit since I've just lost one by paying off one of my cars. I see a lot of people here claiming to have success by applying for Store Credit. I can't lie, I want to apply as when, but don't want them hits on my credit, especially if I'm denied. 

If I did apply for store credit. What are the ones to go for with a 600 Score?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

Re: Jumping in to the Credit Fray after a Bankruptcy

@Anonymous wrote:

Noob here. Just looking for some tips to of course, get my score higher. Almost 3 years ago I filed for bankruptcy. At the time my score was a dim lower 500's. 18 Months ago I was able to buy a Brand new Car...interest rate is a very high 18%. I have not been late on both my car notes and I just paid off one of the cars. 

Right now my Score is 600 on the dot. After reading some post here, I decided apply for a Cap One (using the finder took) I was approved for a $300 limit. I'm so happy about it. I wanted to add a line of credit since I've just lost one by paying off one of my cars. I see a lot of people here claiming to have success by applying for Store Credit. I can't lie, I want to apply as when, but don't want them hits on my credit, especially if I'm denied. 

Welcome to the forums. Is the Cap1 card enrolled in the Credit Steps program? If so, I would just stick with cap1 for about a year and then go on a small app spree (barclays rewards or similar) and more importantly REFI that car loan with someone like DCU.

Um...store cards around 600? ...others will definitely know more but maybe Walmart. I think I remember people posting they got small, small limits with Walmart with similar scores.

Once again, welcome!

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips and the welcome. Sorry I'm not well versed in the lingo. REFI with DCU? Sounds like thats a Credit Union, but which one?

Thanks Again!

Message 3 of 6
cem13
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Here is the ultimate guide to all things credit after BK discharge.  Please read this thoroughly, and take notes.  Then, when you think you understand it, read it again.

I followed this to the 9's and I hit 700 22 months after BK7 discharge.  Now I am 48 month post discharge and my scores have not improved much (~710) but I have over $100K in available credit.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/HOW-TO-From-BK7-discharge-to-700-in-24-months-or-less/m-p/1384075#M9218

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 4 of 6
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the tips and the welcome. Sorry I'm not well versed in the lingo. REFI with DCU? Sounds like thats a Credit Union, but which one?

Thanks Again!

Refiance the car with Digital Federal Credit Union. 

And definitely look at that guide that another poster linked.

You're welcome Smiley Happy

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks cem13, I'll take a look.....now how do I post my cards in my signature like all you fancy folks? Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.