Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

June 4th is a sad day for Citibank

tag
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Re: June 4th is a sad day for Citibank

What a bummer.

Sallie, please never abandon me like this.
Message 11 of 63
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Realistically, it was going to happen. While companies often grandfather people for a time, eventually, this happens, because they discontinued the product for a reason (ostensibly, not wanting to give 5 TYP per dollar).

Looks like now it's basically becoming a Thankyou Preferred, although it still includes "books" at 2x per dollar which ThankYou Preferred doesn't. Of course, 2x isn't that meaningful when there's 2% everywhere cards available.

Sad for Forward users, but it was coming eventually.

Message 12 of 63
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update!
Message 13 of 63
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:
What the heck??? So it's basically a Thank You Preferred card with the guaranteed APR reduction. That sucks. I wonder if they'll allow PCs

Very fascinating...sorry, not to go OT, but if Citi ever hypothetically offered the option in the future of a PC to the devalued version of the Forward, I just might be possibly interested, if only for the APR reduction feature alone...

Unlikely. The Forward isn't coming back for applications (as it seems), it's just being changed for existing users. So doubt PCs would be an option.

Anyway, the guaranteed APR reduction, IIRC, was more of a gimmick than anything substantial. There's a maximum drop of 2% unless that has changed. You can get more than that with Citi by just asking and seeing if you're eligible, so it doesn't seem like a real standout feature.

Message 14 of 63
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Well the "books" feature also features Amazon and TBQH, all the "flat 2%" cards like the DC or Fidelity are uninspiring.
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 15 of 63
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:
Well the "books" feature also features Amazon and TBQH, all the "flat 2%" cards like the DC or Fidelity are uninspiring.

But why care about 2x "books" or Amazon when you can get 2% everything? No matter whether "books" includes Amazon or not, it's still just 2% on that category, whereas a DC is 2% on anything.

There used to be the argument that the 5x forward, paired with a Prestige/Premier, would give great value for travel redemptions. I think with only 2 points per dollar, the combo won't be nearly as enticing.

Message 16 of 63
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Ditto!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 17 of 63
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

From Thank you! to Thank You?

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 18 of 63
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I've been expecting this news for a few years now, so it's definitely no surprise to me. I have no use for a crippled Citi Forward when I have the U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Fast Food & 5% Bookstores/Amazon), Sallie Mae (5% Bookstores/Amazon), and the AARP (3% Dining). I already have a few Citi cards that are credit sitting until I eventually consolidate them into my Double Cash and/or close them out, and the Citi Forward and Citi Premier will just be added to that group. Nothing in my lineup is irreplaceable, so the Forward won't be missed for long.

Also, I agree, Kdm. I certainly wouldn't care about 2x points on bookstores/Amazon when 2% -everything- cards are available. 

Message 19 of 63
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
RIP

Hope Sallie Mae lasts as long as that did

J/c, how long was 5% version of the Forward available in total, also accounting for those who were grandfathered before the earlier nerf to 2%, and the June 3rd cutoff date for the 5% rewards?  Honestly just curious to know how many years the 5% version actually ran for (for datapoint purposes)...

Don't know how long it was in total, but it was discontined approximately 11/12, 9/12 for non-student applications IIRC and that lasted for like 2 months.  Sad day as I was on fence about taking a flier but figured I'd wait the few more months and hit it in my planned 1/13 app spree. 

Fail.  

Forward was 1 of 2 cards that I missed that I actually wanted (not sure I would've necessarily qualified for the other but with mortgage in flight, picking up a CC was a non-starter hah).  It did last with it's rewards structure for a full 3.5 years or so, which is pretty good compared to other products that went the way of the dinosaur.

        
Message 20 of 63
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.