cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Juniper Biz denied, but Discover Biz approved... Weird.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Juniper Biz denied, but Discover Biz approved... Weird.

My husband and I have a small side business.  We don't have a lot of business accounts set up, just a Citibusiness card.  A couple weeks ago, I got an invitation in the mail for a Juniper Business card- pretty good terms, and I thought, why not?  A second card wouldn't hurt.  Got the "10 days" notice online. 

A couple days later, I get a call from Discover Business, offering me a card. (I've had a personal Discover for almost 10 years, and run a lot of $ through it and- lately- PIF.)  Discover approved me instantly for $3500.

I called Juniper to find out what was up, and found I was declined due to util. being too high.

Hunh?  I thought Discover was the stringent one....  Ah, well- guess Juniper didn't want a lucrative customer! 

I told them that, too... hehehe....  It's a nice feeling to be able to say "I don't need you"!

-MsMS

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Geordi
Regular Contributor

Re: Juniper Biz denied, but Discover Biz approved... Weird.

@Anonymous wrote:

My husband and I have a small side business.  We don't have a lot of business accounts set up, just a Citibusiness card.  A couple weeks ago, I got an invitation in the mail for a Juniper Business card- pretty good terms, and I thought, why not?  A second card wouldn't hurt.  Got the "10 days" notice online. 

A couple days later, I get a call from Discover Business, offering me a card. (I've had a personal Discover for almost 10 years, and run a lot of $ through it and- lately- PIF.)  Discover approved me instantly for $3500.

I called Juniper to find out what was up, and found I was declined due to util. being too high.

Hunh?  I thought Discover was the stringent one....  Ah, well- guess Juniper didn't want a lucrative customer! 

I told them that, too... hehehe....  It's a nice feeling to be able to say "I don't need you"!

-MsMS

Sorry, but you haven't provided enough information regarding your situation.

• What is your total utilization? 
  • What is your individual card utilization?
  • How long have you had a balance on your tradelines? 

If you haven't already noticed, getting decent credit cards is becoming more difficult. Also, you have a relationship with Discover but you have none with Juniper. Therefore, naturally Discover Business would be more willing to extend you more credit.

Please keep in mind that CitiBusiness and Juniper Business cards are approved based on your personal credit files.  Thus, high utilization would most likely scare them off.

A few months back I applied for a Bank Atlantic Business card (Juniper) and was declined. One of the reasons stated was high utilization.  I immediately called one of the backdoor numbers to speak with an analyst.  I explained that out of the 9 revolving TLs only 3 were reporting a balance and furthermore my total utilization was 3% and no individual TL was greated than 10%.  I was approved and 3 months later my CL was doubled.

However, that was 6 months ago. Who knows what criteria lenders are using for approval today.

GL  Smiley Wink

Message Edited by Geordi on 10-01-2008 11:09 AM
Message 2 of 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Juniper is super weird.

My parents have almost identical credit files and scores.

My mom was instantly approved for 20k on bankatlantic card.

my father was declined.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Geordi.  The exactly the type of information needed: if you're told your utilization is too high, just how high was it that they denied, etc.  That's also important information about previous relationships.  

The best information was about your experience with the art of reconsideration, though.  Human beings can override decisions made by computers, if you call the appropriate department.  Thank you again, Geordi.

And good luck to MsMS, if she so chooses to go for reconsideration. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.