Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Juniper CLI offer of $1500

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Juniper CLI offer of $1500

DW just got a "Convenience Check" CLI Offer.  They sent her a check offering to raise her CL by the amount of the check she wrote, up to $1500.  Has a $3% fee and standard APR applies.

Essentially this equates to a $45 fee to CLI $1500 (has $2000 CL now) giving her a new CL of $3500. 

If she then PIF the balance a day or two after the balance and new CL posts then she would only pay a few days APR accrual as well, which would be just a few dollars.

Message Edited by txjohn on 09-25-2009 12:57 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Juniper CLI offer of $1500

hrmm, pay to play cli screams- subprime offering...

if they also offer cli w/o fees on this product, why not pass on the 'pay to play' version unless the cli has more utility than the cash in hand.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

What is the APR on the cash advance?
Message 3 of 7
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

In my opinion...Only pay for a CLI if you need it for utility reasons long term. If you are not seeking credit now, then temporary high util won't hurt you.

CLIs come for free on other cards. Don't pay for a high limit just to have it.

Message 4 of 7
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

I received this same offer last year. I accepted. They then credit limit decreased me earlier this year when the banks were panicking, although my history has been flawless with them. Thanks Juniper.

I really have nothing good to say about Juniper. The APR on this card is also ridiculous. This is another account I keep only because I've had it for a while. It stays in the sock drawer now.

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not actually a fee for CLI.  It is the normal 3% BT fee (many banks now charging 4-5%).

The APR is 17.24%, which is why she would immediatley PIF the balance once the check posted and the CLI locked in.

For whatever reason, they want her to take a BT or cash in order to get it.

Message 6 of 7
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Presumably in hope that they would make the finance charges when she did not immediately repay the advance. And if she did immediately repay it they still get the 3%. They are well covered and make money one way or the other.

This is so subprime.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.