Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Juniper increases APR

tag
Guardian
Valued Contributor

Re: Juniper increases APR

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been taking a real close look at things financially and I've decided I'm going to close my Juni account if by chance I get approved for a Freedom card. It's not my oldest account so I'm hoping it won't hurt too much with age. I have no intention of using the card, so I think it's just a matter of time before they close it for me if I don't close it myself.

Too bad we can't plan a mass cancellation.

Or better yet, keep it, sockdrawer it, use it every couple of months for a coffee and let it ride until it is closed or if not then keep it to help build account age. Just my two cents, I am doing that myself.

Common Abbreviations|FDCPA|FCRA
Take the FICO Fitness ChallengeStarting Score: TU:695 - EQ:719 - EX:630
Current Score: TU:712 - EQ:755 - EX:712
Goal Score: TU:800 - EQ:800 - EX:800

Message 21 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't it better to close it myself than to let them close it?
Message 22 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Simple answer, yes, you are right. But, my position on this is that there is no guarantee they will close it as long as you use it occassionally and PIF so you carry no balance and this way you can use them to achieve a bit of extra advantage to yourself by letting it ride. I know I am risking for myself that they will close it but in the meantime, I am getting the age and it helps my ratio by showing more credit than debt and a positive standing account. Its a personal choice I guess and I wish you the best whichever you decide.

Message 23 of 28
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

goingforadream wrote:

There is absolutely no difference in credit scoring whether you close it, or whether the lender closes it.

The only concern might be future lenders questioning what happened. But they don't live under rocks, and I'd say that all you'd have to do is say that you were one of those caught in the credit blood-letting of 2009, and they wouldn't even blink.

I have a card showing "closed by lender" (I stopped using it), and I've never been asked once for the story. I just don't think it's a big deal.

Of course, if they did close it on you, you would want to promptly pay it off. You don't want to have closed cards with balances.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 24 of 28
Guardian
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

There is absolutely no difference in credit scoring whether you close it, or whether the lender closes it.

The only concern might be future lenders questioning what happened. But they don't live under rocks, and I'd say that all you'd have to do is say that you were one of those caught in the credit blood-letting of 2009, and they wouldn't even blink.

I have a card showing "closed by lender" (I stopped using it), and I've never been asked once for the story. I just don't think it's a big deal.

Of course, if they did close it on you, you would want to promptly pay it off. You don't want to have closed cards with balances.

Thank you for that. I think it goes over better coming from you. I have a couple that say closed by creditor and many that say closed by consumer and I have never been asked ONCE for any explanation on any of them. They are all in good standing, so it matters not. I mean even the creditor closed accounts have a great history, no baddies and closed in great status, so they are not stupid, they know it must have been something that had nothing to do with you being a good or bad customer. Anyway, still a personal call I guess. Thanks for the input though, it makes me feel better about my position Smiley Happy I can always count on you to make me feel better.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got a letter from them stating they are increasing my rate from 15.24 to 21.24.

I've had this account since 2006, and it's not my oldest cc.  My util is very high on it 2900 on a 3k limit.  I'm  wondering if I should opt out and close it?  It will take me a while to pay it off.  Or is it better to leave it open and work on paying down the balance?

I've read that closed accounts with balances are never a good thing.  But with my high util, would it be any worse? 

Message 26 of 28
JoeBJay20
Established Contributor

It would be worse in your case.  If you close the account now, you would still have that $2900 counting towards your utilization but $3K less in your total credit limits.  Depending on what your other credit card limits are, your utilization could skyrocket, dinging your score and perhaps setting off a chain of AA by other credit issuers. 

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have the Juni personal card, I have the Juniper Biz MC with 8.24% APR (purchases) and 19.24% Cash.

Hope my rates don't go up Smiley Happy

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.