cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Applied for PNC Cash Builder Visa!!!!

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Just Applied for PNC Cash Builder Visa!!!!

@barbaralee wrote:

Sigh. Iphone is so sensitive.

Anyway, I use to work for USAA Credit Card Services. I personally think the cards are lackluster (or at least they were at the time, I have not kept up with them), but the reps are definitely trained to be all about the member, and do everything that we can do to make them happy. I quit right before Christmas, so I was waving fees and interest left and right up to $300 for one statement. Some people all they had to do was say "I am having a rough year" and I said "INTEREST WAIVED for the month!"
No one looked twice at me. As long as I was within their set criteria for waiving fees it was all good.

It all ended on a bad note, though, after I waived $275 worth of interest for this one guy and his response to me was an indignant: "Is that the best you can do?" Granted he owed the bank 20k, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth, geez.

Smiley Surprised

Ron.

Message 51 of 56
barbaralee
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

Anyway, I use to work for USAA Credit Card Services. I personally think the cards are lackluster (or at least they were at the time, I have not kept up with them), but the reps are definitely trained to be all about the member, and do everything that we can do to make them happy. I quit right before Christmas, so I was waving fees and interest left and right up to $300 for one statement. Some people all they had to do was say "I am having a rough year" and I said "INTEREST WAIVED for the month!"
No one looked twice at me. As long as I was within their set criteria for waiving fees it was all good.

It all ended on a bad note, though, after I waived $275 worth of interest for this one guy and his response to me was an indignant: "Is that the best you can do?" Granted he owed the bank 20k, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth, geez.

Are you kidding?  Wow, the nerve of some people I tell ya.  I guess, in all reality, the bank didn't really have to waive those f/c's but in the interest of customer service you were able and willing to assist him and this is the lovely way people go about expressing their thanks...very sad indeed.

So how did you like working for USAA?  I have CC's and life insurance polcies with them.

I actually really liked it. The company does a pretty good job in instilling a lot of pride for what you do, but it is an extremely competitive environment, and in my department there did seem to be a bit of favoritism here and there. I also can't say enough that they really do try to go above and beyond for the members. In training it was highly encouraged to do all possible for members. We had a grid of what we could do in terms of fees and interest, and what we could waive. The Executive Resolutions are able to waive equal to or just a bit more than us front lines reps.

When people called, asking for interest/fee to be waived we were suppose to look at their entire banking portfolio that they have, and make a judgment call. My rule of thumb was if they did have  interest waived that year, if they were a victim of circumstances, or if they just told me a real good sob story and pulled at my heart strings, I would waive something. If it was obvious that the member was abusing the system I would generally refuse and then leave a note requesting no more fees be waived for the year.

The downside is that they were pretty dead against changing APR, though, and depending on the member's portfolio they can be very hard on credit line increases.... with the credit line increases it was always a good idea to have the front line rep on your side, because if they were taking it to underwriting for the request, the Rep is your voice.

This was all a few years back. USAA could have changed their rules, and clamped down on things. A former colleague of mine had a very bad experience with them recently and the secured card, so it could be major changes from when I worked there, or it could just have been his experience.

All in all working for USAA was one of my best experiences in the work force, and I took a lot away from it. Smiley Happy

Message 52 of 56
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@barbaralee wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

Are you kidding?  Wow, the nerve of some people I tell ya.  I guess, in all reality, the bank didn't really have to waive those f/c's but in the interest of customer service you were able and willing to assist him and this is the lovely way people go about expressing their thanks...very sad indeed.

So how did you like working for USAA?  I have CC's and life insurance polcies with them.

I actually really liked it. The company does a pretty good job in instilling a lot of pride for what you do, but it is an extremely competitive environment, and in my department there did seem to be a bit of favoritism here and there. I also can't say enough that they really do try to go above and beyond for the members. In training it was highly encouraged to do all possible for members. We had a grid of what we could do in terms of fees and interest, and what we could waive. The Executive Resolutions are able to waive equal to or just a bit more than us front lines reps.

When people called, asking for interest/fee to be waived we were suppose to look at their entire banking portfolio that they have, and make a judgment call. My rule of thumb was if they did have  interest waived that year, if they were a victim of circumstances, or if they just told me a real good sob story and pulled at my heart strings, I would waive something. If it was obvious that the member was abusing the system I would generally refuse and then leave a note requesting no more fees be waived for the year.

The downside is that they were pretty dead against changing APR, though, and depending on the member's portfolio they can be very hard on credit line increases.... with the credit line increases it was always a good idea to have the front line rep on your side, because if they were taking it to underwriting for the request, the Rep is your voice.

This was all a few years back. USAA could have changed their rules, and clamped down on things. A former colleague of mine had a very bad experience with them recently and the secured card, so it could be major changes from when I worked there, or it could just have been his experience.

All in all working for USAA was one of my best experiences in the work force, and I took a lot away from it. Smiley Happy

And a great experience indeed!  Thanks for sharing it with us Smiley Happy  This kind of gives me some insight on how things used be, very much agree.

Message 53 of 56
Ron1
Super Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

@FinStar wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

Thanks for the insight!!!. My neighbor has been working for them for over 15 years. He like his job. 

Ron.

Message 54 of 56
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Goodluck Ron1, I was looking at PNC for awhile but heard they can be in sensitive to new applicants.

Did you ever get that BBVA card approved?
Message 55 of 56
Ron1
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Goodluck Ron1, I was looking at PNC for awhile but heard they can be in sensitive to new applicants.

Did you ever get that BBVA card approved?

Thanks for the info. They pulled HP TU on Friday. I haven't heard anything yet.  I'll keep you post.

Ron.

Message 56 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.