Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Called: Successful CLI & PC

tag
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Re: Just Called: Successful CLI & PC

@G19OD wrote:

Thank you all, sounds like very solid advice.

I just got off the phone with BECU, they would have to do a hard inquiry since it has been over 30 days and can't app the VISA CC onto the auto loan. So I said I would think about it.

Smart thinking on going back to cu. personally, not sure about most cu when comes to cli. They usually require hard pull. I like cu in general as many more flavors than banks. Penfed is great about cli without hard pull, but they are hard to get into. Your credit goals should be to deepen your credit file and grow your cls.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 11 of 38
FrugalRican
Blogger

@G19OD wrote:

Thank you all, sounds like very solid advice.

I just got off the phone with BECU, they would have to do a hard inquiry since it has been over 30 days and can't app the VISA CC onto the auto loan. So I said I would think about it.

Are you planning a major purchase within the next two inquiries... that being a car or a house?

You seem VERY worried about inquiries, but you also need more credit... so inquiries are a necessary evil for you.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 12 of 38
G19OD
Contributor

No definitely not - I was just under the impression that inquiries significantly reduce your credit score. But I entirely understand your point. Inquiries for credit.

So as has been suggested, I need to wait until the BoA credit increase hits my CR and then go to CU & Amex?

Message 13 of 38
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't wait to apply for Amex. I'd do it today. Smiley Happy. Hit up the charge card you want then immediately go for the credit card you want. If approved for the charge- it will only be a SP for the credit card if denied. If you get the credit card- request a CLi in 61 days for 3X the current limit.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 14 of 38
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

FYI- there is a good probability that only one HP will result from the 2 apps if approved for both Amex products. Good Luck if you go for it.

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 15 of 38
G19OD
Contributor

Applying online versus over the phone? Does it matter for AMEX

Message 16 of 38
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Either... Doesn't matter. They use the same system online or on the phone. Have you decided if you apply which ones you want? Some credit cards are more difficult to get then others.

Message 17 of 38
G19OD
Contributor

From what I have gathered, go for Zync charge card first. Then for CC TrueEarnings Costco or perhaps a travel Card seeing as I would have the 1-2-3 for everyday rewards.

I am not too sure on the CC side. What's generally easiest with no AF.

Message 18 of 38
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@G19OD wrote:

From what I have gathered, go for Zync charge card first. Then for CC TrueEarnings Costco or perhaps a travel Card seeing as I would have the 1-2-3 for everyday rewards.

I am not too sure on the CC side. What's generally easiest with no AF.

Do you have a Costco membership?  Secondly, just an FYI, if you apply online or over the phone for this card and not in at Costco, the app takes a few days because of Costco membership verification.  

The option available with no annual fee:  Blue, Blue Sky, Blue Cash Everyday, Costco TU, Hilton HHonors and Clear.

Message 19 of 38
G19OD
Contributor

Got it - yes luckily I have a personal costco card as a fringe benefit.

I guess now my next battle is figuring out whether I want to use BoA as my everyday 1-2-3 cash rewards and then have a travel card through AMEX (blue sky) or vice versa.

It seems more efficient to have one of each rather than two of the same.

If and when I get approved for Zync/Green - how long before I wait to app for CC - immediate, an hour?

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.