Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Got Amex Gold

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Just Got Amex Gold

Miner wrote:

Thanks for everyone's advice.  Fortunately my mortgage is with my CU and my zip doesn't currently have a lot of foreclosures; though of the 3 homes for sale in my tract, 1 is bank owned.

Perhaps my safest path for the next few months is to use it at resturants only and maybe my phone bill.  Oh wait, utilities might be a no no since I might look desperate to pay my bills. ARGH!  What happened to the good ol' days when you could just charge what you wanted and not worry about such things?

Nah, AmEx doesn't brood about stuff like that. They love having you put utilities, Internet and stuff on their cards.

I read these don't-use-for-groceries articles with a lot of skepticism. They're written by journalists who haven't thought through what rewards cards are like. Or really, most of them haven't thought through much of any of this, other than they have a deadline, and credit is the sexy topic on everyone's minds.

So yes, ten years ago, if you started putting groceries on your plain-vanilla Visa by the 20th of the month, when you never used to before, I can definitely see flags going up. But nowadays, when you specifically get a card so that you can get 2% back on your bread and milk, it's not an issue.

Don't be afraid to use your card in ways that make sense to you.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

wmarat wrote:

Do not use it in liquor store. <-- did that (low tab though, lol)

Do not use it in tire shop. <-- used it at the Honda dealer; does that count?

Do not use it on adult sites.

Do not use it on-line <-- do this all the time; easy to check my charges

Do not use it in bars <-- hey, I had the card in New Orleans, and DD#2 had it in Ireland! Of course it was used it in a bar; quite a few, in fact

Do not use it in man parlor <-- errr, don't know what this is, and don't want to, either

Do not use it for gambling

Do not use it for paying to shrink <-- but they loved having it used for an orthopaedic surgeon and physical therapist

Do not use it for paying to lawer

Do not use it for paying to family cancelor

Do not live in wrong zip code

Do not get morgage from the wrong lender <-- Our mortgage was shopped to Countrywide right after we got it 6 years ago; not a lot we can do there

Be ready for FR.

I think I might use it for a shrink, if I ever let worrying about this stuff make me crazy. Smiley Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 17
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Nah, AmEx doesn't brood about stuff like that. They love having you put utilities, Internet and stuff on their cards.

I read these don't-use-for-groceries articles with a lot of skepticism. They're written by journalists who haven't thought through what rewards cards are like. Or really, most of them haven't thought through much of any of this, other than they have a deadline, and credit is the sexy topic on everyone's minds.

So yes, ten years ago, if you started putting groceries on your plain-vanilla Visa by the 20th of the month, when you never used to before, I can definitely see flags going up. But nowadays, when you specifically get a card so that you can get 2% back on your bread and milk, it's not an issue.

Agreed!!  I've used AMEX for hundreds of charges at bars and liquor stores.  And online?  Probably a couple of hundred thousand dollars over the years.  I use it extensively as my payment method for Paypal when I buy expensive stuff on eBay (+$1,000 per transaction).  Have never had as so much as a look from AMEX.   So much of these stories are driven by incomplete information.  Take them with a grain of salt.  Your success with AMEX depends on sane, steady charging, and paying promptly over a long period of time.  Very simple.

Message 13 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Watchmann wrote:

... Your success with AMEX depends on sane, steady charging, and paying promptly over a long period of time.  Very simple.

And the right zip code and occupation. That's not hearsay, that's substantiated. It was even in an article quoting an AmEx spokesperson (sorry, way too many months ago to hunt down the reference, but it was posted here on the boards, I think.)

Red-lining by zip code in the foreclosure climate is very real, and it's pretty bitter for the forum members here who got hit, even though their own mortgages and equity are OK.

It's easy to see the AA triggered by payment patterns and so forth. But those zip code/ occupation ones are killers. Understandable from the lender's perspective but grossly unfair from the individual perspective. Smiley Mad

I wish they'd be honest, and mail a letter saying something like, due to the current uncertainty in (your housing market) (your occupational field), we are having to reduce your available credit on a temporary basis in order to protect our interests. We do hope that you will be willing to stay with us as a customer, and we look forward to restoring your credit status as soon as conditions stabilize. --or something similar

IMO, they need to hire some ethics/ religion majors to deal with times like this, not just PR guys.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 10-16-2008 07:57 AM
Message 14 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

WOW, you all are out of control of things not to do with amex!!

I use my card for everything business, pay the day it's due and don't call them unless I am traveling.  Anytime I have had problems with the account they have sent me a post card to call them or have called me and problem was resolved instantly over the phone and that's back when I was spending more than my charge card limits allowed. Now that I have built up reputation on the charge card I have never heard from them.

Yes we have seen CLD on regular amex cards but that has never effected the charge card and has not slowed me down from where, who, and what I do with my charge card.

Everyone just needs to take a breath and step back, amex is not the devil!

Message 15 of 17
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Any information is incomplete when we discuss Amex. We are making assumptions based on what we read on different forums. I have happened to read people's reports that they have had Amex's AA due to using a card at liquor stores, or on line, or at bars and logically it does fit Amex's, wierd risk model.

I use my Blue at my favorite bar, but it is reported as restaurant so technically I use it at restaurant not at bar. I use paypal credit to purchase on E-bay, so I do not have personal knowledge.

@Watchmann wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Agreed!!  I've used AMEX for hundreds of charges at bars and liquor stores.  And online?  Probably a couple of hundred thousand dollars over the years.  I use it extensively as my payment method for Paypal when I buy expensive stuff on eBay (+$1,000 per transaction).  Have never had as so much as a look from AMEX.   So much of these stories are driven by incomplete information.  Take them with a grain of salt.  Your success with AMEX depends on sane, steady charging, and paying promptly over a long period of time.  Very simple.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 16 of 17
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Creditaddict wrote:

...Yes we have seen CLD on regular amex cards but that has never effected the charge card and has not slowed me down from where, who, and what I do with my charge card
Actually, that is incorrect. Timothy was CLD'd on his Gold charge card, as was another member (can't remember who it was.)

Again, there are known behavior triggers for those who haven't been with them for long, and there are now also the issues of perceived foreclosure risk and unemployment risk, for those in certain areas and occupations. Not a lot you can do about the last two; the first is something that can be controlled, if so desired.

It will really, really help separate the heat from the light on all these posts if everyone will remember that American Express does loooooong engagements, and they can and will back out if they're not comfortable, whereas they appear to be a bit more tolerant with time and history. So showing a bit more respect for other people's experiences would really help us all.

wmarat wrote:

Any information is incomplete when we discuss Amex. We are making assumptions based on what we read on different forums. I have happened to read people's reports that they have had Amex's AA due to using a card at liquor stores, or on line, or at bars...
You're right. And people keep posting those articles about not using your card at the "wrong" place the first time, and so forth. I sort of note these, but I'm not really convinced. Could be, but I'm sitting on the fence on this.

Although the "man parlor', yes, that might do it! Smiley Very Happy
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.