cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Open Discover Cash Back Checking!!!! It is available now.

tag
yellowcake
Regular Contributor

Re: Just Open Discover Cash Back Checking!!!! It is available now.

@Ron1 wrote:

@yellowcake wrote:

I got it for the free checks.

Free checks is good. Smiley Happy  Not too many banks give you. Smiley Sad

Ron.

Exactly.

Message 21 of 80
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

FutureBillionaire wrote

It's a good account, and better than normal checking accounts. It's good for bill pay if you have to use your checking account to pay something that you can't pay with Bluebird.  I signed up for one.  I"m going to get some use out of this.

What can you pay with this that you couldn't bill pay with Bluebird?  I didn't mean using the Bluebird card itself.

Message 22 of 80
Ron1
Super Contributor

@yellowcake wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@yellowcake wrote:

I got it for the free checks.

Free checks is good. Smiley Happy  Not too many banks give you. Smiley Sad

Ron.

Exactly.

Free official bank checks. Plus, if you need it sooner, we can get it to you quickly through express mail–also free of charge.

Ron.

Message 23 of 80
Ron1
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

FutureBillionaire wrote

It's a good account, and better than normal checking accounts. It's good for bill pay if you have to use your checking account to pay something that you can't pay with Bluebird.  I signed up for one.  I"m going to get some use out of this.

What can you pay with this that you couldn't bill pay with Bluebird?  I didn't mean using the Bluebird card itself.

Blue Bird doesn't give 10 cents back for the bill pay each time you use it.

Ron.

Message 24 of 80
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Default4 wrote:

10 cents on debit purchases, bill pay, and writing a check sounds awesome! I just opened one too lol Smiley Happy. Since Chase got rid of the 10/10 program this is really cool for purchases that are just a couple dollars. I only put $25 to try it out, but if I like it I may actually switch all of my billpay to them too. 

Not quite a replacement for Chase though, right?   I'm guessing that the 10 cents on debit purchases means using the supplied debit card (linked to the account) rather than your normal discover card, losing the 1% or more you usually get (whereas Chase gave you both).  Still, for transactions under $10 there is some gain. 

10c for checks and billpay isn't that great, as using Bluebird or Serve will probably give you more.

So, IMO better than a bad or average bank account, but you won't get a lot of money back, and with no reimbursment of foreign ATM fees, and no interest on deposits, not as good as the best.

I don't think serve and blue bird gives you 10 cents per purchase. Most banks don't give much on interest. You have to use their debit cards too many times and direct deposit to get high high interest. It is a pain to do.

Ron.

Bluebird and Serve don't give you 10 cents per purchase, right.   The benefits come from putting money on the card in the first place, where you get the 5 or 6% discount with the right credit cards.  So if I pay $100 via bluebird, I effectively get $5 back rather than 10cents.

Rewards checking (which requires the debit card use so many times a month) is a pain, but I was referring to interest checking on online banks, you can get reasonably high interest.  So, Everbank offers 0.7% for the first year on deposits from 0-10K, 0.3% in subsequent years.  With $5K balance, all foreign ATM fees are refunded.  Ally is similar.  

I'm not saying Discover is bad, it's just that for some, there are better alternatives out there.  10c per transaction REALLY shouldn't be much of a deciding factor in this space unless you make a large number of very small transactions.  Of course, you can have both!

Message 25 of 80
Ron1
Super Contributor

You have to use it at the certain place to get the 5% or 6% discount. It is not too convient.  I heard Everbank need HP to open a checking account.  I don't think it is a worth to get 0.7%. You can open Discover Savings to get 0.8% without getting HP. Smiley Happy By the way, I had Blue Bird card once. I didn't like it much. Their customer service is just average.

Ron.

Message 26 of 80
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

You have to use it at the certain place to get the 5% or 6% discount. It is not too convient.  I heard Everbank need HP to open a checking account.  I don't think it is a worth to get 0.7%. You can open Discover Savings to get 0.8% without getting HP. Smiley Happy By the way, I had Blue Bird card once. I didn't like it much. Their customer service is just average.

Ron.

I don't want to defend BB too much, but it is really good if a few conditions are met.  Either:

1) You can buy VR with a "good" credit card.  While many people aren't able to do this at their local CVS, a lot of people still can.

2) Failing that, you need both

a) A good credit card for supermarkets where you can buy Visa/MC GC

b) Access to a Walmart

I have never needed to call Bluebird CS so I cannot comment, but I'm sure they are the lowest level of Amex CS, and doubtless not as good as Discover.  But the reward difference is considerable, and if 10 cents per transaction is interesting enough, this should be more so.

Message 27 of 80
enharu
Super Contributor

Thanks for the heads up Ron!
This does look pretty interesting.

Also something that I just noticed. I was looking at fee-free ATMs in my area, and noticed that Discover has partnered with the Korean banks, i.e.  Hanmi, BBCN, etc.

The ATMs at Citi, BofA, Chase, etc will incur a fee. I never knew Discover had a partnership with them Smiley Surprised

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 28 of 80
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

I have to auto pay my student loan to get a percentage discount. That means I can set up that  transaction through this bank. 

I already have a Discover savings account.  This account will go with it nicely, especially if I can deposit money orders through the mobile app. 

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 29 of 80
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Once a month I need to receive an incoming international wire and Discover Bank told me this would be free where BofA is collecting 12$ even if international fees are taken over already. Curious to see if this will be indeed free incoming wires or if Mellon Bank is taking out the intermediate fees. That alone would be a reason to change incoming wires to Discover Bank.

Message 30 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.