cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Open Discover Cash Back Checking!!!! It is available now.

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: just signed up..i don't need another checking account...b...

@RockinRay wrote:

I think it will be interesting to see how well this account works.

I did a small deposit with them via the iPhone App to see how that worked. They credit the account the following business day if deposit was done during business hours on the day you made the deposit. If you deposit after business hours, the deposit will post on the second business day. They also told me that I should keep the deposited check for 60 days. Not impressed...

I use USAA for my main bank and when I depsit a check with my iPhone, the account is credited immediatley. No waiting game needs to be played. But, I do like the cash back on the Discover account so I do plan to run some money through it to pay the things that I cannot pay with a credit card, like the mortgage, car payments, and utility bills. I see value there.

One question that I did ask Discover Bank was what did they offer for Over Draft protection. They came back saying nothing at this time but they do plan to tie this to your Discover card in the future.

We also opened a savings account with them. Still waiting for that to fund.

Ray,

I had Discover Savings for a couple of years. It took almost a week to transfer funds out of the account to my BofA checking. They don't have any overdraft protection credit line like other banks. I haven't tried their billpay. So I don't know how fast or how slow.  

Ron.

Message 51 of 80
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

I did a small deposit with them via the iPhone App to see how that worked. They credit the account the following business day if deposit was done during business hours on the day you made the deposit. If you deposit after business hours, the deposit will post on the second business day. They also told me that I should keep the deposited check for 60 days. Not impressed...

I use USAA for my main bank and when I depsit a check with my iPhone, the account is credited immediatley. No waiting game needs to be played. But, I do like the cash back on the Discover account so I do plan to run some money through it to pay the things that I cannot pay with a credit card, like the mortgage, car payments, and utility bills. I see value there.

One question that I did ask Discover Bank was what did they offer for Over Draft protection. They came back saying nothing at this time but they do plan to tie this to your Discover card in the future.

Ray,

I had Discover Savings for a couple of years. It took almost a week to transfer funds out of the account to my BofA checking. They don't have any overdraft protection credit line like other banks. I haven't tried their billpay. So I don't know how fast or how slow.  

Ron.

Still I am going to give them a try on this. I just set my Discover Card to be paid from the checking. They may be long term with me, or maybe not. I think as time moves forward, their product will get better...

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 52 of 80
Open123
Super Contributor

Tried the remote deposit with the iPhone app.  Similar experience and process to Chase, Citi and Bof A with funds available the following day.  Will test their bill pay by sending small amounts to all my vendors.

Message 53 of 80
Ron1
Super Contributor

@RockinRay wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@RockinRay wrote:

Ray,

Ron.

Still I am going to give them a try on this. I just set my Discover Card to be paid from the checking. They may be long term with me, or maybe not. I think as time moves forward, their product will get better...

Ray,

Don't move all your money to over there yet.  Try it to see if how it goes. It took almost a week to ACH into my BofA checking. Alliant tool only a day to my account and wait another day to clear.  I haven't tried USAA yet. I have been using BoFA billpay for years. They are fast and reliable.  They charge ACH to take funds out of the account.

Ron.

Message 54 of 80
Ron1
Super Contributor

I just checked my account. Discover Bank just took the funds out of my checking account. The fund is not available in my Discover Checking. It might take several days to clear.

Ron.

Message 55 of 80
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I do like the way they set your log in page up. Everything there and easy to read.

So, I will go ahead and pay some bills, set USAA up to move money back and forth and see how all of that goes. While it is small change, 10 cents per payment transaction can add up over time if done the smart way.

I would use the Discover card more, but I think you have to spend what, $2500 to get to the 1 percent tier? Am I right on that? Seems stupid to me.

On another note, my currentl CL with Discover is $10,500 and I am going to call them and tell them I want to charge my daughters college tuition to the card (will PIF) and see if they will authorize a $20k transaction. This will be interesting for sure!

Ray

Message 56 of 80
nick125
Valued Member

@RockinRay wrote:

I do like the way they set your log in page up. Everything there and easy to read.

So, I will go ahead and pay some bills, set USAA up to move money back and forth and see how all of that goes. While it is small change, 10 cents per payment transaction can add up over time if done the smart way.

I would use the Discover card more, but I think you have to spend what, $2500 to get to the 1 percent tier? Am I right on that? Seems stupid to me.

On another note, my currentl CL with Discover is $10,500 and I am going to call them and tell them I want to charge my daughters college tuition to the card (will PIF) and see if they will authorize a $20k transaction. This will be interesting for sure!

The old Discover More card had the $3000 tier I believe, while the Discover IT has 1% without the tier. 

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 57 of 80
Home2014
New Contributor

Re: Just Open Discover Cash Back Checking!!!! It is available now.

@Brax wrote:

Time to drop Wells Fargo like a bad habit!

+1

Chase Sapphire Preferred $10,000 | United Mileage Plus Visa $8000 | Bank of America Cash Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom Visa $4800 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum World MC $3500 | PayPal Extras MC $3250 | Amazon Store $3000 | Quicksilver One MC $2500 | Walmart Discover $2000 | Merrick Bank Visa $1400 | First Premier Bank $300
Last App 01/10/2014... In the Garden until Fall 2014
Message 58 of 80
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

nick125 wrote:

RockinRay wrote:

The old Discover More card had the $3000 tier I believe, while the Discover IT has 1% without the tier. 

Thank you good to know!

Ray

Message 59 of 80
nyancat
Established Contributor

Re: Just Open Discover Cash Back Checking!!!! It is available now.

10 cents/transaction is nice (better than Citi Forward for my $2 Taco Bell lunches), but Schwab seems better in every other way - and doesn't have the questionable record on social issues Discover has (don't ask, not bringing politics on here, but just saying a reason I wouldn't pick Discover over Schwab). 

American Express Blue Cash Everyday - $11,000; American Express Platinum Cashback Everyday - £3,000; American Express Rewards Credit Card - £7,500; Aqua Reward Mastercard - £3,500; Bank of America Travel Rewards - $5,000; Barclaycard Freedom Rewards - £3,500; Citi Forward - $5,800; Discover It - $10,000; Halifax Clarity - £1,500; HSBC Platinum with Rewards - $5,000, MBNA Everyday Plus - £3,500
Message 60 of 80
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.