Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Received American Express Card

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Just Received American Express Card

@Anonymous wrote:

On my American Express Blue Cash credit card that I recently received? I've seen PIF often, what is the acronym for?

Sorry, PIF = Pay in Full.  In our modern age, sometimes I think we resort to acronyms far more than we should.  LOL

Message 11 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chatting or calling to lower APR is a good thing to do when you're 'bored' credit wise, even if you PIF. It can sometimes keep one from apping. Smiley Wink 

True, but having high APRs worked in my favor a few times.  When a Barclay Analyst inquired the reason for applying for another US Air card, I reponded with, "I wanted a lower APR."  It worked.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

On my American Express Blue Cash credit card that I recently received? I've seen PIF often, what is the acronym for?

Sorry, PIF = Pay in Full.  In our modern age, sometimes I think we resort to acronyms far more than we should.  LOL

Did you also suggest that I ask American Express to reduce my APR although the account is a few days old? [edit] Oh okay. You're saying if you pay your account in full at all times they won't consider lowering APR.

I want to lower APR. I like making progress even if its just making progress with no real benefit (since I PIF) .

Message 13 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you also suggest that I ask American Express to reduce my APR although the account is a few days old? [edit] Oh okay. You're saying if you pay your account in full at all times they won't consider lowering APR.

I want to lower APR. I like making progress even if its just making progress with no real benefit (since I PIF) .

They will lower it, if you ask them to.  What I'm suggesting is that if you never carry a balance, it'd be a waste of time asking for a benefit that's immaterial (in this case, a lower APR that you'd never use), in my view.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think American Express will consider reducing APR while there's an introductory rate in effect. If you pay in full the APR is irrelevant. That said, I have received reductions after the intro rate expired & despite always paying in full.
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123 wrote:

...it'd be a waste of time asking for a benefit that's immaterial (in this case, a lower APR that you'd never use), in my view.

Although I PIF, it would be imprudent to limit one's option to temporarily carry a balance in case of an unexpected bill because he/she didn't periodically request for a reduction in APR which would alleviate the circumstance.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I don't think American Express will consider reducing APR while there's an introductory rate in effect. If you pay in full the APR is irrelevant. That said, I have received reductions after the intro rate expired & despite always paying in full.

That's good to know and would make sense because after 15 months you would have a personal credit history with them.

Message 17 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

...it'd be a waste of time asking for a benefit that's immaterial (in this case, a lower APR that you'd never use), in my view.

Although I PIF, it would be imprudent to limit one's option to temporarily carry a balance in case of an unexpected bill because he/she didn't periodically request for a reduction in APR which would alleviate the circumstance.

If this is a possiblity, then, yes, it would be prudent to expend the effort to lower APRs as much as possible.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.