Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Started

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just Started

Hello everyone! I just moved (7 month ago) to US and started build my credit history, already made mistake:

1) BofA Secured Credit Card with fees

2) 2 HPs - first with AMEX was forced by "friend" to open bussiness credit card with no credit, second BofA CL increase (was 500, now 700).

I know all of my HPs was stupid and this is why i am here. I have mailer pre-qualified offer for Capital One Platinum, also discover offer on their site for Discover IT (0 intro APR for 12 months, then 19.24 +/- 1, 3% fee for each balance). CK suggest me AMEX BCP with approval odds good.

Credit Score from CK: TU 687 (bcz second HP from BofA), EQ 694

Question: what i should do now?

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: Just Started

If you're over 21 go check all your pre-qualified offers.. Also Capital One Platinum is not that great of a card :/ it has a 24.99 APR so I would mean more towards the Discover Pre approval if it has a solid APR. and DO NOT trust credit karma nobody uses those scores.. Mines is 620 on there but my Ficos are all 725+.
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your answer. Yes, i am over 21 and have good income.
Is it worth to risk with Discover? Cap1 Platinum (no fees) looks like easy way to open extra account and increase CL a little bit. Or in my situation numbers of account does not matter. Also want to made worth HPs and start tick time, for removing them.

Message 3 of 26
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

if you're over 21 try Amex Pre Approval, Cap1, Chase they're all known to be solid approvals if you receive a pre-approval. Discover is a great card but their mailers can go either way...
Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

+1 what Creditplz advised.  I'd go with Discover if your offer is a set APR, and I agree, Capital One Platinum has too high of an APR.  Check out all the prequalify sites (American Express, Citi, B of A, Discover, Chase, and Cap One) and any other ones that I haven't mentioned.  Look for the words "prequalifed" and firm APR's with no range.  Have you received any mailers with offers?

Message 5 of 26
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone! I just moved (7 month ago) to US and started build my credit history, already made mistake:

2) 2 HPs - first with AMEX was forced by "friend" to open bussiness credit card with no credit, second BofA CL increase (was 500, now 700).

I know all of my HPs was stupid and this is why i am here. I have mailer pre-qualified offer for Capital One Platinum, also discover offer on their site for Discover IT (0 intro APR for 12 months, then 19.24 +/- 1, 3% fee for each balance). CK suggest me AMEX BCP with approval odds good.

1. Ignore Discover prequal site, it's not legitimate.

2. Ignore CK recommendations, they are not legitimate.

3. If you got prequal from Cap One, apply for it (but beware you will get 2 or 3 HP's).

4. No more applications for 6 mos.

5. Maintain balances low or zero when statement cuts. Use cards & pay them down.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Op, I agree with some of the recommendations from SouthJ (especially #'s 2, 3, and 5), but I see things differently with Discover's prequal site.  Many people on this forum who were given solid APR's (with no range or a small range) have been approved with Discover (even those with BK as recent as two years and sometimes less).  I've not seen anyone denied with a sold APR offer from Discover be it through a mailer or on their website.  Just my observation on this one.  Good luck on whatever you decide to do! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will wait 7 of July when BofA will report my new balance, bcz in previously months i occasionally got 20% utilization (very easy to do this when CL 500)

1) Cap1 Platinum there is no AF and in future i can convert it to QS? Looks like a good choice. I dont care now about APR now, because going to do PIF. What you mean i will get 2-3 HPs for 1 card? How this possible?

2) Discover - i am thinking to try, in case of luck should i also apply to Cap1 or i need to choose between 2 of them and take pause for 6 months?

3) I am also do shopping at Cotsco, should i consider Cotsco Citi card or it will be hard for me to get it?

Anyway want to open something, bcz dont want to be depends in BofA secured and HPs will gone early.

PS thanks guys for your advice.

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I will wait 7 of July when BofA will report my new balance, bcz in previously months i occasionally got 20% utilization (very easy to do this when CL 500)

1) Cap1 Platinum there is no AF and in future i can convert it to QS? Looks like a good choice. I dont care now about APR now, because going to do PIF. What you mean i will get 2-3 HPs for 1 card? How this possible?  Cap 1 is a lower end card with high rates. But they are easy to get, easy to increase CL with good history, and easy to upgrade to QS after some time. That QS would give you some good cash back. 2-3 HPs, one from each agency.

2) Discover - i am thinking to try, in case of luck should i also apply to Cap1 or i need to choose between 2 of them and take pause for 6 months? May as well. Maybe app for this one first then Cap1??

3) I am also do shopping at Cotsco, should i consider Cotsco Citi card or it will be hard for me to get it? I think Citi is harder to get approved. Maybe build some history first with these others?

Anyway want to open something, bcz dont want to be depends in BofA secured and HPs will gone early.

PS thanks guys for your advice.

After the above things, garden for a while and let those grow. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

1. Ignore Discover prequal site, it's not legitimate.

2. Ignore CK recommendations, they are not legitimate.

3. If you got prequal from Cap One, apply for it (but beware you will get 2 or 3 HP's).

4. No more applications for 6 mos.

5. Maintain balances low or zero when statement cuts. Use cards & pay them down.

Okay, first of all, the Discover prequals ARE legitimate, so why are we giving the OP bad advice by telling him to ignore Discover, but apply for Capital One, get worse customer service, a higher APR, more HP's, and no rewards??

Just curious. 

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.