cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a heads up about Chase applications.

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Just a heads up about Chase applications.

I think I'll try waiting until November to do another Chase app, particularly for the Freedom knowing this.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for both Chase Freedom and Slate within a few days apart. I got approved for both starting CL of 3000 and 3200. I called in to recon for higher CL. They informed me that they have to run another HP on each. And I got them increased to 3600 and 3800 respectively.

Message 12 of 13
yfan
Valued Contributor

Right, it's a dumb practice, but they have it. I got the Amazon Visa last year and applied for the Marriott Rewards Premier (with the 70K points offer) and Freedom cards last month. I was approved for both, however, Chase was skimpy on the limits: with the MRP card they approved a limit of $5K and on the Freedom, a toy limit of $700. Both cards came to me the same day, and I called them right up before even activating the Freedom and said I would never use a card with a $700 limit. The CSR asked if I wanted a recon of the limit, and informed me that it would cost me a hard pull. I declined and asked him to close the Freedom. He offered to move the $700 limit to the MRP, WITHOUT a hard pull this time. I agreed.

In the end, I think it worked out fine for me. I already have 2 periodic 5% cashback cards: Discover and Citi Dividend.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.