Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a thought about CC

tag
los_west
Regular Contributor

Just a thought about CC

What got me into my credit mess was credit cards. I find it very ironic now that I am rebuilding my credit, I need CC and increased limits to increase my score.

I am going to lock away my cards just so I dont get tempted and fall back into my old problems!
Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
flyingace
Valued Member

Re: Just a thought about CC

@los_west wrote:
What got me into my credit mess was credit cards. I find it very ironic now that I am rebuilding my credit, I need CC and increased limits to increase my score.

I am going to lock away my cards just so I dont get tempted and fall back into my old problems!

Might I ask what specifically got you into trouble w/ credit?

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 2 of 9
los_west
Regular Contributor

In my 20s, I treated my credit cards like a bottomless pot of money. I maxed them out, made minimum payments, and when the economy tanked, I couldn't keep up with payments. I was addicted to buying things, regardless of whether I could afford it....as long as I had enough credit on my card, I bought it. It was such a slippery slope!
Starting Score: (04/18/2013) EX 572, TU 577, EQ 554
Currently: (12/2014) EX ?, TU ?, EQ 766 (new version)
Lender Pull (12/03/14): EX 759, TU 750, EQ 766
Message 3 of 9
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Needa control the urges , and only use what u can actually pay

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 4 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Higher limits do not equal higher scores...

I to was in the same boat. Now I have a different attitude about CC's in general. I leave a $200-$300 balance on my $10k NFCU siggy and payoff whatever I put on it every pay period.

It's all about the balance of good/evil.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 5 of 9
flyingace
Valued Member

@los_west wrote:
In my 20s, I treated my credit cards like a bottomless pot of money. I maxed them out, made minimum payments, and when the economy tanked, I couldn't keep up with payments. I was addicted to buying things, regardless of whether I could afford it....as long as I had enough credit on my card, I bought it. It was such a slippery slope!

The good thing is that you recognized it, and made steps to fix it! CC, from what I've read, work best when you can get rewards and other similar things when buying the things you were going to buy anyway. So, what I try to do (fwiw) is put all recurring and food and what not, and then make payments throughout the month to cover the charges. And I get rewards for doing that! It's tough, but we're all here to help! That's why I joined this forum Smiley Happy 

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 6 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@flyingace wrote:

@los_west wrote:

The good thing is that you recognized it, and made steps to fix it! CC, from what I've read, work best when you can get rewards and other similar things when buying the things you were going to buy anyway. So, what I try to do (fwiw) is put all recurring and food and what not, and then make payments throughout the month to cover the charges. And I get rewards for doing that! It's tough, but we're all here to help! That's why I joined this forum Smiley Happy 

Actually, if you have concerns, it's probably better to have a non-rewards card.  Research shows (and this is why they are offered!) rewards cards increase spending ("I'm getting money back so it's cheaper, so it doesn't really count/I'll buy two/I just need those extra 3K miles so .....").    Of course, no rewards means no rewards, so not attractive to many, but they have slight financial advantages over using just cash: better record keeping, a float of 20 days or more, and of course easier to use for big ticket items or car rental etc.

Message 7 of 9
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

Join this forum more often then u wouldn't even know what """ interest charge "" means.............
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@nicholasyud wrote:
Join this forum more often then u wouldn't even know what """ interest charge "" means.............

I'm struggling to know what that means too Smiley Happy.

But yes, conventional wisdom on this forum is PIF, PIF, PIF (pay in full).  No interest, no cry.

To the OP: I think if you understand the problem it's easier to maintain.  I think it would be wise to try to build habits using credit cards responsibly rather than locking them away.  I consider it likely that cash / checks are going to continue to decline in usage, and while I suspect they'll never fully go away, we're all going to have to get used to using little bits of plastic or their substitute when it comes to transactions.  If you start trying to handle it now, I think you'll be in a better position later when if it becomes more or less forced upon us.

Also in addition to the irony of having to get credit, you also need to use it too Cat Tongue.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.