Did you mean: 

Just a thought

tag
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Just a thought

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I'm in a similar boat, mostly because my spend doesn't warrant having more than 4 cards.

But I sure as heck am not going to wait 5 years...honestly, once an account hits a year, to me that's "long enough" and it's fair to close it.

At this moment the only thing I really could see closing with no big hesitation is Quicksilver, I love the rewards program but the card serves little purpose anymore and the APR is 22.99% and they won't lower it. While I don't carry a balance on it anyway, it's just a "so this is what you think of me?" kind of thing while my other issuers give me 12-18% lol.

Cancel it and re-apply and get the 12.99% QS if you qualify for that rate, granted the double or triple pull will sting, but since you don't churn cards or plan on applying for any new credit, what is 2 or 3 inquiries anyways?  Kinda like you cancelled you DC awhile ago and apped again.  As you know most likely Citi DC won't last in the long run(pure speculation; as no mc/visa 2% card has ever lasted) and what is the second best simple cash back card,, yep you got it QS.  

I still think Cap1 CS stinks, but I just avoid dealing with them so the blood pressure stays down and Citi isn't known to be much better at least for this product.

I fully agree Double Cash likely won't last.

Anyway, I'm not gonna reapply for something I already have just for a lower APR. Right now, the QS is just sitting in the sockdrawer with one automatic charge per month. It's not hurting anything to keep it open, but doubt I will keep it forever, as at this moment it has no purpose. Down the road, it may have a purpose if DC is nerfed, but I'll deal with that if/when it comes, and even then my uncategorized spend is not exactly huge so even just earning 1% on it with Cash+, BCP, etc is not that big of a deal.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I'm in a similar boat, mostly because my spend doesn't warrant having more than 4 cards.

But I sure as heck am not going to wait 5 years...honestly, once an account hits a year, to me that's "long enough" and it's fair to close it.

At this moment the only thing I really could see closing with no big hesitation is Quicksilver, I love the rewards program but the card serves little purpose anymore and the APR is 22.99% and they won't lower it. While I don't carry a balance on it anyway, it's just a "so this is what you think of me?" kind of thing while my other issuers give me 12-18% lol.

Cancel it and re-apply and get the 12.99% QS if you qualify for that rate, granted the double or triple pull will sting, but since you don't churn cards or plan on applying for any new credit, what is 2 or 3 inquiries anyways?  Kinda like you cancelled you DC awhile ago and apped again.  As you know most likely Citi DC won't last in the long run(pure speculation; as no mc/visa 2% card has ever lasted) and what is the second best simple cash back card,, yep you got it QS.  

I still think Cap1 CS stinks, but I just avoid dealing with them so the blood pressure stays down and Citi isn't known to be much better at least for this product.

I fully agree Double Cash likely won't last.

Anyway, I'm not gonna reapply for something I already have just for a lower APR. Right now, the QS is just sitting in the sockdrawer with one automatic charge per month. It's not hurting anything to keep it open, but doubt I will keep it forever, as at this moment it has no purpose. Down the road, it may have a purpose if DC is nerfed, but I'll deal with that if/when it comes, and even then my uncategorized spend is not exactly huge so even just earning 1% on it with Cash+, BCP, etc is not that big of a deal.

When was the double cash released? I forgot. haha

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm thinking about ditching the QS soon. If DC gets nerfed, I'll reapply, but there is no need to hold onto it before then.

Message 13 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm thinking about ditching the QS soon. If DC gets nerfed, I'll reapply, but there is no need to hold onto it before then.

Right...I mean, I don't think Double Cash is going to last forever but I doubt it is going to disappear anytime very soon considering I still see commercials for it and such. A year from now may be a different story. But the QS is just never useful for me anymore, and I hate hanging on to "dead weight" cards.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Right...I mean, I don't think Double Cash is going to last forever but I doubt it is going to disappear anytime very soon considering I still see commercials for it and such. A year from now may be a different story. But the QS is just never useful for me anymore, and I hate hanging on to "dead weight" cards.

The one thing that keeps me from ditching it immediately is the thought that it is an excellent card for international travel, and I keep on having the intent of going, even if I never get around to it. At a certain point, though, it just isn't worth it for a trip that may never come. 

Message 15 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The one thing that keeps me from ditching it immediately is the thought that it is an excellent card for international travel, and I keep on having the intent of going, even if I never get around to it. At a certain point, though, it just isn't worth it for a trip that may never come. 

Good idea to keep it right there; a no AF card that is "most" likely more widely accepted than Discover card  in other countries that has no FTF's.. Think you just talked yourself into a reason not to ditch it..  If your signature is correct you only have two cards with no FTF's.  If you think you will be traveling abroad anything soon then keep it.

Message 16 of 18
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If the trip is not actually happening, wouldn't worry too much about no FTF. I mean yes, ideally you want to keep a no FTF card if there's foreign travel planned but since you don't even have anything booked yet, I'd say it's not really a priority to worry about it.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just ditched a bunch of credit cards.  It felt great.  About a week ago, I applied for a couple of new ones I'd rather have.  Now, I'm sitting in the garden until the end of 2017.  I had no reason to keep unused cards around, plus a couple of them had annual fees.  The new ones are much better.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.