cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just an observation- most rewards cards aren't worth it if you can't pump the money through them

tag
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Just an observation- most rewards cards aren't worth it if you can't pump the money through them

@Anonymous wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Do either of you actually get decent rewards on them? So maybe in the long term, i.e. next year by third quarter, just try for a flat cash back. Is that what you recommend?

Again, can't pump enough money through them.

I agree - but I did get 25000 miles from United one way and another

If you dont' mind me asking, how much do you have to spend to get a mile? How many miles does it take to get a ticket?

5000 points on Discover Miles= 50 off one ticket of your choice. Not bad when I can fly one way to Midway in Chitown for 50 bucks if you get fun saver fares.

I mile per dollar, 25,000 miles to get a ticket. But as I said, I needed a card, I got 25,000 miles for applying (which brought daughter home for Xmas. My problem is I have a company card that I am supposed to use!
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 11 of 32
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Just an observation- most rewards cards aren't worth it if you can't pump the money through them

Don't get MV and I going about UAL.  We will pull you in!

$1 per mile for the regular card.  $60 AF waived the first year.  Always a great promo offer for new cards like a free companion ticket and 20k+ starter miles.  25k miles gets you a ticket.

Cancel the card before the 1st AF and you still keep the miles... they go on your own seperate UAL account.  Keep them active by purchasing at a store on mileageplusmall.com once a year I think and they never expire.

Sorry if I am un-tainting you.... !
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 12 of 32
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I'm lucky because I'm earning 2 points for every $1 spent with Amex's partners on my Gold Rewards card. I charge all of my employers travel expenses on this card and in 8 months, I have earned well over a 100,000 points and converted them into Continental FF miles. As for my other cards, yeah, the deal is not as sweet. I have to spend 5K on my FIA card to earn a $75 rebate, I then EFT it into my daughter's 529 plan. It's something but not much. My CITI Dividends isn't much better. 
Message 13 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

But the point is that if you are using the card for your regular expenses, you're getting a unasked for discount.  I love free money.  No matter what the amount.

I don't do points though except for BB.  They do seem to take a lot of effort to pay off.

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-17-2007 09:41 PM
Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brammy wrote:
But the point is that if you are using the card for your regular expenses, you're getting a unasked for discount.  I love free money.  No matter what the amount.

See that's the problem w/ me and DH. Everything that is billpay re: house, etc. is set up w/ the OC for auto draft withdrawal and we have never had a problem so I don't want to rock the cart by trying to change it and pay w/ CC's.

However, I am so glad to hear that for some of you, it working for you to get the rewards.

Message 15 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only do things like telephone, cable and those listed before... they are all also set up on auto-pay.  I do doube check though every month.  A few minutes ago I realized by cable company was about to double bill me Smiley Mad

Message Edited by Brammy on 12-17-2007 09:43 PM
Message 16 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am almost to $500.00 cash back on my hubbys BoA card, he gets 1.25.  Since we PIF every two weeks its absolutely free money, 500 back in just over a year is not to shabby. 
My son uses my card not sure what the cash back is but I can get a 100.00 cash back on it right now just over 6 mths.     Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and heres wishing for a grand New Year for all.   Tks Vicki

Message Edited by greyhound2007 on 12-17-2007 06:54 PM
Message 17 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my CCs on autopay(via OC, not billpay, NEVER billpay...) for the statement balance and the CCs pay for everything else

Message Edited by rbbyrbsn on 12-17-2007 07:08 PM
Message 18 of 32
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

netpanther wrote:
See that's the problem w/ me and DH. Everything that is billpay re: house, etc. is set up w/ the OC for auto draft withdrawal and we have never had a problem so I don't want to rock the cart by trying to change it and pay w/ CC's.

However, I am so glad to hear that for some of you, it working for you to get the rewards.

I think the only regular monthly bills we have that take a cc are Cablevision (TV/phone and internet) and cell phone.  I wish the utility companies here would take cc but they don't.

There are also lots of other ways to get free money.  www.upromise.com (register your courtesy cards here for totally free money for your kids) www.ebates.com are 2 of my favorites for everyday online spending.  Check your favorite online stores at www.evreward.com to see who has the best bonus.  I get deposits into my PayPal account quarterly just for placing the order thru the sites for companies (where the deal is better than my UAL).

ebates has a referral program but I'm too lazy to do it here.  Right now they are giving a $10 gift card out for registering.  It's a really good company, nothing shady or annoying.  I've used them for a few years.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 19 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, I think for me rewards cards aren't worth it - prefer no AF, low rate cards - well, my rates are getting better and my choices for cards is improving - so no AF and a 'decent' rate for my score is what will intice me.

Dh has given mt Citi a workout this month - it's almost maxxed but the PIFis sitting in my account until next week.  We did this purposefully to max it and try to get a CLI from them (and will continue until they give one).  While he uses my Citi- I have use of his AE which isn't a bad deal.
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.