Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just approved for AmEx Usaa!

tag
climbinghigher
Valued Member

Just approved for AmEx Usaa!

Well, I checked the mail today and had a pre-approved offer from USAA. I started to trash it for fear of another inquiry. I called and answered a few questions and was approved for 3000.00. My wife started with a USAA card 4 yrs ago with a 3k limit, received an  auto loan at 0 down and 6.74 apr, and 6 mo. ago received a World MC with 11k limit and 8.9%. I have 2 PR's that will drop off in 9 mo. I am looking forward to working with a bank like this.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Re: Just approved for AmEx Usaa!

Curious what your motivation was to go with their AMEX over their Mastercard.  When I was looking at them the cards are identical besides the network and MC is the more widely accepted network.

Message 2 of 7
Amnesia87
Contributor

@shiftomnimega wrote:

Curious what your motivation was to go with their AMEX over their Mastercard.  When I was looking at them the cards are identical besides the network and MC is the more widely accepted network.

I'd assume that was what his preapproval was for... lol

I just got the USAA Amex as well, but that was because I already have the MC, though the MC is lame platinum (they will only double your CL on CLI, so that moved from 1k to 2k, while I got approved for 7k on Amex lolol)

Also, out of curiousity, I started looking at the differences between:

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/static_assets/Media/AMEXGuideFinal.pdf?cacheid=1860062884

and

https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/static_assets/Media/MCWorldGuide.pdf?cacheid=2875115392

So far I have noticed:

EXTENDED WARRANTY

Amex:

The kind of coverage you receive:
Extended Warranty doubles the original warranty time period and duplicates the coverage of the original manufacturer’s (or U.S. store brand) warranty up to a maximum of 24 months on most items you purchase. For products with multiple warranty components, each warranty time period will be duplicated up to a maximum of 24 months. Should you fail to properly register the original warranty as required by the manufacturer, Extended Warranty will only double the actual warranty time period that you received from the manufacturer. An example of a product with multiple warranty components includes an appliance with original manufacturer’s (or U.S. store brand) warranties that differ for parts, labor, compressor, etc.

MC:

The kind of coverage you receive:
Extended Warranty doubles the original warranty time period and duplicates the coverage of the original manufacturer’s (or U.S. store brand) warranty up to a maximum of twelve (12) months on most items you purchase. For products with multiple warranty components, each warranty time period will be duplicated up to a maximum of twelve (12) months. Should you fail to properly register the original warranty as required by the manufacturer, Extended Warranty will only double the actual warranty time period that you receive from the manufacturer. An example of a product with multiple warranty components includes an appliance with original manufacturer’s (or U.S. store brand) warranties that differ for parts, labor, compressor, etc.

PURCHASE ASSURANCE COVERAGE

Amex:

USAA American Express Cardmembers can benefit from the security and safety offered through Purchase Assurance Coverage. If something you bought with your USAA American Express Card is damaged or stolen within 150 days of purchase, you may be eligible for benefits under this coverage. Purchase Assurance Coverage is an insurance program.

MC:

MasterCard cardholders can benefit from the security and safety offered through Purchase Assurance
Coverage. If something you bought with your World MasterCard card is damaged or stolen within ninety
(90) days of purchase, you may be eligible for benefits under this coverage. Purchase Assurance is an
insurance program.

The other difference I notice is that the Amex includes Concierge, the MC doesn't.

Admittedly, most people never take advantage of the perks of their cards (which is how they can afford to offer them to begin with ^_^, but to me it's pretty clear that the Amex is USAA's higher tier card.

And while I hear lot's of talk about how commonly Amex cards aren't ever accepted, my Amex cards have never not been accpted.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 7
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Congratulations!! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 7
shiftomnimega
Regular Contributor

Amnesia,

Great breakdown.  The addition of the concierge service is better than regular AMEX credit cards.  Not for me, but I could definitely see the advantages.

Message 5 of 7
climbinghigher
Valued Member

Shiftomnimega, this is what they offered me. I havebeen rebuilding for years and had only two Cap One cards. One for 1500. and one for 750. This will help me move forward with a good bank. Thanks for all of your comments.

Message 6 of 7
Amnesia87
Contributor

@shiftomnimega wrote:

Amnesia,

Great breakdown.  The addition of the concierge service is better than regular AMEX credit cards.  Not for me, but I could definitely see the advantages.

USAA is also generous with CL, though honestly, it will never be my primary card when I have my Citi Forward, Blue Cash Prefered, and on occassion Discover More (depends on the quarterly bonus, and how much of the cap I've used), even though they are all much lower limit cards... for now.

I am very curious about how the concierge service works. I believe the service is through http://www.axa-assistance.com/home.html

I've never really understood how the costs work for concierge though. I understand if I ask them to get me tickets to a concert or something, I have to pay for the tickets, but if I was like, I want a reservation at such and such restaurant, does that cost me anything? I'm currious to hear from anyone with concierge. It's a nice benefit to have on a card with no AF, though who knows how the service is ^_^.

Starting Score: EX FICO: Unknown EQ FICO: 717 TU (CreditKarma): 713
Current Score: EX FICO: 737 EQ FICO: 752 TU (CreditKarma): 717
Goal Score: EX FICO: 760 EQ FICO: 760 TU (CreditKarma): 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.