Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just approved for Discover

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just approved for Discover

I was just approved for a Discover student card with a $500 limit. When would I be able to recieve a CLI? Is it automatic or do I have to ask?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Just approved for Discover

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just approved for a Discover student card with a $500 limit. When would I be able to recieve a CLI? Is it automatic or do I have to ask?

6 months I believe

Message 2 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

What were some of your credentials at app if you don't mind me asking? HHI listed? Inquiries? Inq. in last 6 mos? Length of Credit History? Util? FICO scores? AAoA? I'm thinking of looking into this card in the future. Congrats on the approval, though!
BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smc733 wrote:
What were some of your credentials at app if you don't mind me asking? HHI listed? Inquiries? Inq. in last 6 mos? Length of Credit History? Util? FICO scores? AAoA? I'm thinking of looking into this card in the future. Congrats on the approval, though!

When I applied for the card, I have 2 months of credit history with CapOne and Citi, about 5 inq at app. They emailed me saying they need me to fax over something to confirm my enrollment in a FOUR year university, I sent in a tuition statement with 0 balance (all paid by scholarship) which may or may not have influenced their decision. I was shocked when they said the word "congratulation" because I know from this forum that Discover is strict when picking who should hold their card. My ultil is about 10% and no FICO score bc none of my account are over 6 months old but my FAKO according to freecreditreport.com is 720 just to give you an idea. Anyways, good luck! ;-)

Message 4 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@smc733 wrote:

When I applied for the card, I have 2 months of credit history with CapOne and Citi, about 5 inq at app. They emailed me saying they need me to fax over something to confirm my enrollment in a FOUR year university, I sent in a tuition statement with 0 balance (all paid by scholarship) which may or may not have influenced their decision. I was shocked when they said the word "congratulation" because I know from this forum that Discover is strict when picking who should hold their card. My ultil is about 10% and no FICO score bc none of my account are over 6 months old but my FAKO according to freecreditreport.com is 720 just to give you an idea. Anyways, good luck! ;-)

Wow!  That is a surprising approval, but congrats!  This card will grow, they will convert it to a regular "More" card at your listed graduation date.  Aside from my heavy inqs (all of which are getting near the 6 month mark), I should be able to get this card at some point.

Congrats again, and enjoy your portfolio, you have cards with 3 good lenders!

BofA Cash Rewards VS - $25k | Citi Double Cash World MC - $18.9k | Amex BCE - $50k | Discover it - $50k | Chase Freedom Unlimited VS- $10k | Barclay Ring $5k |
Message 5 of 7
ferrari
Regular Contributor

Congrats on the card! I got one when I had 3 months credit history. But, It's been more than a year now and I have never received a CLI. I used 200-300 monthly and always PIF. I called multiple times and received the same answer: they review the account periodically and they will grant CLI when they see fit. They also could not find anything that indicates that it's a student card and they said the only difference from a regular more card is that the minimum limit on a regular card is 1000. They said there is no such thing as "graduating" to a more card, as soon as the CL is above 1000 it is a regular card!

They did not seem to appreciate my business so the card is now sockdrawered until I get a decent CL or a call from CSR or they close the account!

Oh and BTW, when you request a CLI through the phone system it is saved in their system even if you decline a credit pull after talking to the CSR or you hang up before you talk to the CSR. I requested a few of those and hung up before speaking to a CSR because I always get the same stupid response and they can see all of them.

Message 6 of 7
smc733
Valued Contributor

^Interesting.  In this case, this is definitely a card that will grow.  If my Amex thing doesn't plan out, I definitely know where I'm going.

Thanks for the wealth of information.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.