cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just checked my AMEX spending ability...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just checked my AMEX spending ability...

When I first got my PRG it said I was not approved try spend $500. Within two months it was up to $20k, and since then I haven't checked.

I might have to try $1,000,000 though just for a laugh!
Message 11 of 23
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

I wonder what my spending ability is, I have had my Green for 5 months, I am thinking in the 3-4,000 range. I have seen some people on here that have insane spending abilities on Platinums, like 100kSmiley Very Happy

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 12 of 23
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be wary of playing with the "Check Spending Ability" feature, anecdotal evidence suggests it can lead to a FR. 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!Smiley SurprisedSmiley SurprisedSmiley Frustrated

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess you felt like playing around this morning. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 23
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Lol can't wait to get my Amex and play with the spending ability tool. Smiley Tongue

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 15 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@mitchblue wrote:

Now I'm curious what the highest approved amount has been from people on here. I can get to about 10 grand.. I was happy about that.

Mine changes all the time. It's usually around 50k.  It's a totally meaningless number, IMHO.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 16 of 23
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd be wary of playing with the "Check Spending Ability" feature, anecdotal evidence suggests it can lead to a FR. 

Urban legend.  Unless you are carrying big balances or doing any other risky things then just as stated a myth.. I play with it all the time out of pure boredom.  In a year I have not had a FR.  It is their for a reason or you can simply call a CSR and have them run a trial charge on a NPSL and see if it goes through.

Message 17 of 23
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Urban legend.  Unless you are carrying big balances or doing any other risky thing then just as stated a myth.. I play with it all the time out of pure boredom.  In a year I have not had a FR.

What's an FR?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If my card said yes I'd buy Jay Leno a burger and go to the auto action.
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question: when you check spending ability, is it sort of pre-approving you for one transaction or for a line of credit that you might use over a few transactions over a few days?

Working in Plat bonus spend I checked a couple times. I'd check, then charge. Then check for next thing. Could I have checked for the limp sum?
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.