Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just closed my USAA card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just closed my USAA card

So ive only closed one other card in my life. An Amazon Store card that I got when I was 19. I was an idiot and opened it and was approved for $600. Had it open for 30 days and then closed it cause debt scared me :/ I was dumb. Wish I would of kept it open. 

Besides my Walmart card which was opened in 2011 I had no other credit cards. I got a job at VZW while still in college and needed a card for new job expenses. Called my bank USAA and they approved me for the college card with their max limit of $2500. That was about 2 years ago. Since then my income has went up AND my credit score. Im currenty around 780s and they (USAA) have refused to work with me on the limit of $2500. lol

Ive switched banks (to NFCU) but kept it open due to the fact that there was no AF. However i literally have NO plans to use it and NO need to have it for Utilizations purposes as I typically PIF (besides my AMEX at 0%).

So I closed it. The rep didnt ask why or anything. He said ill recieve a letter in 7-10 days lol.

I hope it doesnt affect my scores :/ kinda nervous

Next up will be the CSP right before the AF hits.  Ill be moving it over to my FREEDOM so idk if it will report as closed or what?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just closed my USAA card

@Anonymous wrote:

So ive only closed one other card in my life. An Amazon Store card that I got when I was 19. I was an idiot and opened it and was approved for $600. Had it open for 30 days and then closed it cause debt scared me :/ I was dumb. Wish I would of kept it open. 

Besides my Walmart card which was opened in 2011 I had no other credit cards. I got a job at VZW while still in college and needed a card for new job expenses. Called my bank USAA and they approved me for the college card with their max limit of $2500. That was about 2 years ago. Since then my income has went up AND my credit score. Im currenty around 780s and they (USAA) have refused to work with me on the limit of $2500. lol

Ive switched banks (to NFCU) but kept it open due to the fact that there was no AF. However i literally have NO plans to use it and NO need to have it for Utilizations purposes as I typically PIF (besides my AMEX at 0%).

So I closed it. The rep didnt ask why or anything. He said ill recieve a letter in 7-10 days lol.

I hope it doesnt affect my scores :/ kinda nervous

Next up will be the CSP right before the AF hits.  Ill be moving it over to my FREEDOM so idk if it will report as closed or what?

There are times when some products no longer fit our needs or long term goals so it's ok to close them.  They will continue to report on your CRs as positive (closed) tradelines for up to ~10 years.

As far as your CSP, once you reallocate the CL, then that card will be closed as well.  As long as you don't have any remaining balances on any of those accounts, you should be fine.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.