cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just closed on a mortgage... What are the best cards to app for?

tag
Linear23
Valued Member

Just closed on a mortgage... What are the best cards to app for?

Hi everyoneSmiley Happy

I just closed on my home last Friday. My score was 717 when I closed. I applied for a Best Buy card to get appliances and got approved for $4k. I'm not sure what company they use for FICO but my score was 729 with them.

I currently have Discover $1000 limit.
2 Capital One both with $2000 limits
Credit Union $2000 limit.
Barclay $1900 limit.
Chase $2400 limit.

I have a bankruptcy that was discharged in April 2005.

What are the best cards for me to apply for?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just closed on a mortgage... What are the best cards to app for?

What Chase card do you have? Freedom?
Message 2 of 10
Linear23
Valued Member

Slate.
Message 3 of 10
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@Linear23 wrote:
Slate.

Maybe try for CSP (You'll have to recon bue to the BK)?  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 4 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Linear23 wrote:
What are the best cards for me to apply for?

Your list doesn't really tell us enough to make meaningful recommendations.  What are you specifically looking for from new cards?  What are your goals?  What's lacking with your current cards?  Which specific cards do you currently have?  "Capital One, Credit Union, Barclay & Chase" realy doesn't tell us much about what you currently have or why.  What benefits are you interested in?  What rewards are you looking for?  What types of rewards and do the redemption policies matter?  Do the rewards limits matter?  What are you major spend categories?  Does the processing network matter?  Do AF's matter?  Do you have any other criteria to help narrow down the options?

Always be very specific when asking "Which is best?" questions as best is always highly subjective regardless of topic.  Always clarify what you specifically mean by best.  The more information you provide the better the recommendations you can get.  Otherwise you just tend to get people suggesting what they prefer and what they prefer may not be in line with what you prefer.

Message 5 of 10
Linear23
Valued Member

Yes sorry. I was hanging around the mortgage board and I'm still getting to know the boards over here!

Definitely no AF. I have no cards with rewards so I'm not sure of the benefits/drawbacks of rewards cards.

I hope this helps a little more. I guess I have to research some cards myself and figure out what's best for me.
Message 6 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Linear23 wrote:
Yes sorry. I was hanging around the mortgage board and I'm still getting to know the boards over here!

Definitely no AF. I have no cards with rewards so I'm not sure of the benefits/drawbacks of rewards cards.

I hope this helps a little more. I guess I have to research some cards myself and figure out what's best for me.

While it is common, the "no AF" is probably not the right thing to begin with!   There are cards such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which gives you a $400 bonus, AF waived for the first year, and then a $95 fee.  That's extreme, but people need to consider the AF vs rewards balance, rather than just rejecting AF cards out of hand.

Message 7 of 10
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@Linear23 wrote:

Yes. Congrats on the mortgage.

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 8 of 10
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

Keep researching.

My $.02 would urge you to change your Slate to a Freedom. No AF, but you would receive cash back awards for certain categories throughout the year. You can see how much you like (or don't like) rewards, but something tells me you'll like seeing cashback! Even if it's only 1% per transaction.
Message 9 of 10
navyox
Regular Contributor

@jenn_bar wrote:
Keep researching.

My $.02 would urge you to change your Slate to a Freedom. No AF, but you would receive cash back awards for certain categories throughout the year. You can see how much you like (or don't like) rewards, but something tells me you'll like seeing cashback! Even if it's only 1% per transaction.

+1, look around, if you have any questions about specific cards, you can pretty much guarantee people here have it and would be more than happy to share info.    Congrats on the mortgage!   Very nice CL on Best Buy also.

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.