cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just curious why do people have like 10+ Credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just curious why do people have like 10+ Credit cards?

@Anonymous wrote:
this site is addicting and makes you want to apply for cards after hearing the successes of others

True. Before MyFico I only had 2. Only used 1. This site really takes most of the mystery out of applying for CLI and approvals. I love it! Happily sitting with 6 right now. Trying to build up AAoA.

I was just approved for a Sallie Mae and I think everyone should have one! Haha I don't know anyone who can't live without groceries, gas or Amazon.... I mean books!

Message 61 of 81
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Not to derail the thread, but I"m not as big a Chase fan as most on here. They really are only super valuable for travel people. For cash back, they are nothing exciting, and refuse to grow with people (CLIs and APR reductions, etc). It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and the "workarounds" for CLIs with them are, IMO, ridiculous to have to do.

They have excellent travel benefit cards and I know for many that overrides their other shortcomings. But for me it doesn't. To me they are average at best.

I see.

Well I guess if you don't do travel then they don't suit you that much. Good luck.

my tripcase (thank you Chase)

tripcase.png

Message 62 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Not to derail the thread, but I"m not as big a Chase fan as most on here. They really are only super valuable for travel people. For cash back, they are nothing exciting, and refuse to grow with people (CLIs and APR reductions, etc). It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and the "workarounds" for CLIs with them are, IMO, ridiculous to have to do.

They have excellent travel benefit cards and I know for many that overrides their other shortcomings. But for me it doesn't. To me they are average at best.

I see.

Well I guess if you don't do travel then they don't suit you that much. Good luck.

my tripcase (thank you Chase)

Your image. It's broken.

Staaaaahp it.

Message 63 of 81
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

The other 9 were outdated and the rewards system had been nerfed so time for # 10-11-12 and a new signing bonus Smiley Very Happy

You're alive! haha

On a more serious note, for me it's about AAoA, util, and rewards. But hey, "with great power comes great responsibility" right?

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 64 of 81
dmFICO8
Regular Contributor

For me in priority:

in the old days,

1. Average Age of Accounts, planed to build a high AAoA from the start when I was new to credit but half failed;

(I went live under the rock for 5 years, more than half (11) of the accounts got closed due to inactivity. Smiley Very Happy

Big thanks to Amex (2 cards), Discover (1), Capital One (3) didn't close my accounts at all, and Chase didn't close all (2 left))

2. 0% intro APR, can pay it off right away, but like the cash flow when I did some selling on eBay back in the days.

in the new days,

1. Signup bonuses and more signup bonus;

2. Reward structure;

3. Additional benefit like free FICO sore, or Amex Offers for Amex cards;*

*however, if the card has no signup bonus at all, I won't apply (only exception is 2 years ago Walmart Discover now MasterCard for the only provider for free TU08 FICO, sadly few months after I had the card, Discover, follow by Barclays provide same free FICO, kinda wasted a HP and an account slot.)

4. Average account age again, though it is more like hurting than helping at the moment (6 new cards 2 years ago, 6 more this year), but in a long long run, it should help;

5. 0% APR makes thing more smooth, again can pay it off if want to, just not in a rush.

Message 65 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's finally starting to make sense to me.

And now, all of a sudden, I want more cards.

Message 66 of 81
Man-Of-Steel
Established Contributor

This is an interesting thread.  I know that I've seen a similar question get asked before, so I'm guessing this comes up every once in a while.  And apparently I'm in the minority here with my grand total of 5 cards..........lol.  

Message 67 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once I get all the cards on my wishlist in my sig, I will be complete. There is just something powerful about maximizing my cashback on virtually all of my purchases. 

Message 68 of 81
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Man-Of-Steel wrote:

This is an interesting thread.  I know that I've seen a similar question get asked before, so I'm guessing this comes up every once in a while.  And apparently I'm in the minority here with my grand total of 5 cards..........lol.  

Much much more often than "once in a while"!   New people come in, who have maybe 2 or 3 cards, and then see the signature blocks of some contributors and then have to ask.

Same set of answers each time though!

Message 69 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having had some success and risen from the ashes after a devastating period of being broke & bankrupt, I have found the recovery to be quite a boost of esteem. So, the answer is because I can! I feel secure in having a good amount of cushion around me, just in case of a personal emergency, a family emergency, or a great business opportunity. Therefore, I am more comfortable having way more available credit available than I will ever use. I have some aged members in my family who are going to need someone with some resources some day. It's comforting knowing I can be there for them, if they need me.

Message 70 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.